Charge/refund webhook

Robin Williams

May 26, 2017, 7:42:49 AM5/26/17
to Stripe API Discussion
Hi

The charge webhook includes the source, but the metadata for the source is not populated - is this a bug?

The same is true for refunds.

Also, it would be great to have the fee and net included for both charge and refund webhooks without having to call the API to expand the balance transaction ...

and for the description to be set to the invoice description rather than null when the charge is for an invoice without having to call the API to expand the invoice.

Thanks.

Robin

Remi J.

May 26, 2017, 8:02:04 AM5/26/17
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hey Robin,

Thanks a lot for feedback! I'll address each one separately to clarify why this is happening!

1/ Charge/refund and source metadata

=> The event payload is focused on the charge data and metadata are not automatically expanded in that case. I'm sure this is something we could add in the future though so I'll raise this the engineering team.

2/ Charge events and fees

=> The fee lives on the Balance Transaction so it would not be part of the Charge object that is described by those events. You have to retrieve the Charge via the API or at least the associated balance transaction in that case and there's no better way.

3/ Charge, invoice and description

=> The charge's description in that case is always null in our API so that's not something we would change. If the charge is associated to an invoice, we automatically pull the invoice description when sending an email receipt. If the invoice is for a subscription and doesn't have a description we'd pull the details about the plan(s).

Those are things we should keep in mind for future improvements to the API too. Especially now that we've shipped Webhook Signatures [1] as you shouldn't have to retrieve more data via the API to process an event.

Hope this helps!
Remi

Mar 28, 2018, 8:07:36 AM3/28/18
to Stripe API Discussion
Just adding that I too would be interested in having the feature to automatically expand webhook event data. :)