Subscription Custom Start or/and End Date as per the Plan & Subscription Trial End Date in the past

Anush

Dec 27, 2016, 1:54:58 AM12/27/16
to Stripe API Discussion
I would like to know if any of the following feature / enhancement is going to implemented in the future, if yes then in which version and when would it be released and if not, then I would like to request the Stripe Team to implement it.

- Setting Subscription Custom Start or / and End Date as per the Plan!
- Setting Subscription Trial End Date in the past!

Fred Alger

Dec 27, 2016, 1:20:19 PM12/27/16
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hi Anush,

Thanks for writing in! Could you tell me a little more about what you're trying to do with those API changes? There are no current plans to implement either of those features, but with the subscriptions API and webhooks you can implement many different subscription models that may meet your needs.

If the custom start/end dates or having the trial end date in the past are important to your business, one idea is to use the "metadata" field on the subscription to store those dates:

Those custom dates would both show in the Stripe Dashboard and be returned to your application in every webhook delivery related to the subscription.

For simplicity, your application is responsible for canceling the subscription at the appropriate time. The best way to do this is to set up a webhook that listens for the `invoice.created` event:

Stripe sends that event before your customer is charged, so you have the opportunity to make API calls and cancel the subscription without billing your customer.

There's a lot more information in the subscription webhooks guide in the Stripe docs:

Hope that clears things up! If your question is along the lines of "how can I implement my specific subscription model with the Stripe API", then it's best to contact Stripe support directly; we have experience implementing all manner of custom subscription behavior, and can help you find the best approach.

Cheers!

- Fred.

Martin Kuhn

Dec 28, 2016, 12:10:37 PM12/28/16
to Stripe API Discussion
I have also the requirement to handle a future cancelation date for a subscription. Of course it would be possible to check such a date when the "invoice.created" event is sent. But it would be a lot easier to set it on stripe and not to manage it by myself.
So, from my point of view it would be a good idea to provide such thing in the future.

Regards,
Martin
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to api-discuss...@lists.stripe.com.