Is there a way to add a 15 month plan?

Charles Olaes

Nov 7, 2013, 6:33:17 PM11/7/13
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
The API only allows for a 12 interval count. Is there any way to make a 15 month plan or a way to trick the billing cycle?

Thanks

Kiran Bhattaram

Nov 11, 2013, 4:43:36 PM11/11/13
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hey there,

That's not something the API currently supports, unfortunately You
could hack together your own recurring billing using once-off charges,
but that's not a very satisfying answer — sorry we can't be more
useful here.

You've got me curious, though: what's your use case for a 15-month
plan? Specifically, why 15-month instead of 12-month?

Kiran

Andy Cohen

Nov 11, 2013, 6:12:53 PM11/11/13
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
I just want to clarify something, so the interval_count parameter on the plans API only accepts integers up to 12?  The docs specifically say "a positive integer".  I have never had a use case for anything too weird here, but I am still curious why there is a limitation, and why it is not documented?  Thanks,

-Andy

Sent from my iPad

Charles Olaes

Nov 12, 2013, 7:46:28 PM11/12/13
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Its pretty much the client wanting to be different. A marketing thing I suppose. I guess I can store the plan on our end and invoice them manually but it would be preferrable to make full use of the api.

Kiran Bhattaram

Nov 15, 2013, 8:56:03 PM11/15/13
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hey,

Yeah, sorry, this should have been documented. Fixing that now!

Kiran

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 4:46 PM, Charles Olaes
<fingerba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Its pretty much the client wanting to be different. A marketing thing I suppose. I guess I can store the plan on our end and invoice them manually but it would be preferrable to make full use of the api.

Peter Kovacs

Dec 10, 2013, 10:18:48 AM12/10/13
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hi Kiran --

I recently ran into this issue when trying to make 24-month long subscriptions.  I'd like to offer a more substantial discount for users who sign up for a longer term.  Its somewhat uncommon, but among the sites who do this are Economist.com and Flickr.com.

Are there any plans on offering longer subscription terms?  This is one are where Stripe is deficient compared to a service such as Pin Payments.

Best regards,
Peter Kovacs

On Friday, November 15, 2013 8:56:03 PM UTC-5, Kiran Bhattaram wrote:
Hey,

Yeah, sorry, this should have been documented. Fixing that now!

Kiran

Andrew Metcalf

Dec 13, 2013, 6:34:02 AM12/13/13
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hi Peter,

Jumping in for Kiran here.

Our current agreements with our banking partners prevent us from offering longer than 12 month subscriptions.  We may still be able to offer them at some point but it's farther down the road than a simple API change would be.

As an alternative, could you offer your customers a 24-month commitment with annual billing?  For example, my cell phone contract is 24 months but is billed monthly with an early termination provision.

Thanks for the feedback!

- Andrew

Nate Brustein

Aug 12, 2015, 2:07:01 PM8/12/15
to Stripe API Discussion
We have a 2yr plan, and had to do a bunch of work on our end to give 2 years of access when a customer actually bought a 1yr plan in Stripe.  And we had to limit ability to switch so that we wouldn't have to worry about the pro-ration being wrong, etc.

Doing annual billing is not an option for us.

So, it would be really nice for us if Stripe could start offering longer plan durations.

Matthew Arkin

Aug 12, 2015, 3:10:58 PM8/12/15
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com, Stripe API Discussion
Unfortunately the card networks don't tend to allow multi-year recurring charges (I'd insert a link to the visa merchant guidelines on this but I'm on a cruise with limited Internet). The main issue with them is that chargebacks tend to be higher with the longer recurring cycle as people forget they subscribed.

Matt

Sent from Mailbox

Nate Brustein

Aug 12, 2015, 3:15:46 PM8/12/15
to Stripe API Discussion
We actually do not need the plan to be a recurring charge.  Maybe it's possible to support longer subscription periods but disable auto-renewals?  That would be even better for us, actually, since we don't want auto-renewals on this plan anyway.  Right now we have to go out of our way to set cancel_at_period_end to true, but only after the free trial is over.

And maybe the banks would allow it then?