Change text on Payment Request API Button

Cory

Oct 24, 2017, 3:31:22 PM10/24/17
to Stripe API Discussion
Hi there,

I am trying to implement the Payment Request API on my website, but I've found that I'm very limited in the choices for text for the pre-designed button. I'm surprised to see that there is no "Subscribe Now" option - even though that is a big part of payment systems. Is there a reason this was left out? Would it be possible to add this as an option? Thanks!

Something like this:

Eduardo Serrano

Oct 24, 2017, 3:51:28 PM10/24/17
to Stripe API Discussion
Hi Cory,

That's good feedback, and something we're considering.

Would you be willing to share the payment/checkout flow within which you'd like to use a button like that?

Thanks,
eduardo

Cory

Oct 24, 2017, 4:36:01 PM10/24/17
to Stripe API Discussion
I wanted to give the user an easier way to subscribe, as opposed to having them to fill out a lengthy form or re-enter their data, when it is already stored within the browser (or within apple pay). I don't want to have the button say, "Pay Now", and have the customers assume it's a one-time payment. This will cause confusion and customers will feel like we have lied to them and signed them up for a subscription based service without their knowledge.

On the documentation for the Payment Request Button, subscriptions are mentioned twice.

Stripe’s implementation of the Payment Request API is fully compatible with Stripe’s products and features (e.g., subscriptions)

Use it to accept payments for physical or digital goods, donations, subscriptions, and more (note that the Payment Request API is for use in browsers, not mobile applications).

It seems odd to ask the customer to "pay now"  when subscribing and paying for something are two completely different things. Hopefully that makes sense.

We basically one this flow, but instead of saying donate for both, it would say Subscribe. Is there a reason why the user cannot choose the text themselves?

gr...@joinhighbrow.com

Mar 12, 2018, 9:13:16 AM3/12/18
to Stripe API Discussion
Hi Eduardo,
I wanted to add the same request. Having a "Subscribe Now" text option would be much clearer, both to specify that it's a recurring payment, and because if a free trial is present, the user will be subscribing now won't necessarily be paying now, as they'll be charged at the end of the free trial.

Thanks
-Greg

Eduardo Serrano

Mar 14, 2018, 11:02:17 PM3/14/18
to Stripe API Discussion
Greg, Cory,

Would you mind sharing a link to the checkout flows were you'd expect to use the "Subscribe Now" button? The use case makes sense... just trying to gather some more context on where you'd place it.

Thank you!
Eduardo

Dan Walker

Jul 30, 2018, 7:59:10 AM7/30/18
to Stripe API Discussion
I'm also surprised to Google and find that this isn't a thing, any updates since March?

Users can sign up to my SaaS which has multiple plans. User registers, then is asked to select a plan. All plans start with 10 day free trials, so the 'Start free trial' button triggering a 'Pay Now' dialog is misleading. I have to set the description of the modal to be something like 'You will not be charged until your free trial has elapsed', but it gets truncated so you have to shorten it.

It'd be much easier if I could have a 'Subscribe' button, or perhaps a flag that switches it to a Subscriber dialog with a built-in notification about the fact that you won't be charged yet.

Remi J.

Jul 30, 2018, 8:56:52 AM7/30/18
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hey Dan,

Unfortunately, there's been no change for now and the word subscribe is still not an option in their button. Hopefully this is something they allow in the future but for now you're limited to the limited subset of words that they allow: https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/apple-pay/buttons-and-marks/buttons/

Best,
Remi