How do I show account_balance changes on invoices?

Jonas

Sep 14, 2016, 8:52:07 AM9/14/16
to Stripe API Discussion
Hi,
I am trying to implement giving a credit for referrals in our subscription based app. So if someone successfully referred someone else and they started a subscription, I set the account_balance on the referring customer to "account_balance = account_balance - 5000". Next invoice I see the credit applied to the charge but the invoice still says the full amount which will be confusing to the customer. How would I get the settling of the credit to show up as a line item on the invoice? Or am I going about this the wrong way?

Best,
Jonas

Remi J.

Sep 14, 2016, 8:59:28 AM9/14/16
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hey Jonas,

The account balance never shows as a line item on the invoice. Instead, it's discounted from the invoice's total and you could use the `amount_due` property [1] on the Invoice object [2] to show your customer how much he owes you.

A better solution would be to use a negative invoice item [3] to add the credit to a customer. This would make the credit appear as a line item on the invoice itself which means you can set your own description and you can add multiple ones if the customer referred more than one person for example.

Hope this helps!
Remi