Disabling email field in Stripe Checkout

Vladimir Andrijevik

Oct 31, 2014, 5:59:25 AM10/31/14
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hello Stripers,

I know that Stripe Checkout allows pre-filling the email field, but is there any way to completely hide it?

Our app sends invoices (not Stripe invoices) which get paid using charges. However, accessing an invoice (to pay it) is done via a one-time token, rather than requiring sign-in, so we cannot pre-fill the email field field (each invoice has multiple recipients). However, we also do not want to show it, because our server uses the one-time token to send a confirmation to all recipients, so having a single email field would be confusing for the payer.

I am hoping that you could make setting data-email="false" behave like passing data-allow-remember-me="false", so it hides the field completely. If used this way, the `stripeEmail` parameter that gets passed to our server would just be nil.

Thanks,
Vlad

Matt DuVall

Nov 5, 2014, 4:57:43 PM11/5/14
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hi Vlad,

Unfortunately we don't currently allow the email field to be turned off at the moment. If this is a request that comes up often we will consider adding it but for the time being will remain as is

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,
Matt

Nick Pearson

Nov 5, 2014, 5:13:24 PM11/5/14
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hi Matt,

I'd like to second Vlad's request, for the same reason he noted: it's confusing to users when multiple people can pay an invoice.

In our case, users currently have to be logged in to our app to pay, but we don't want to show someone else's email address, so we currently don't use Checkout (though we'd love to). This isn't an urgent need, as what we have now is working fine, but I thought I'd chime in to say there is some demand for this capability.

Thanks,
Nick

Matt DuVall

Nov 5, 2014, 6:08:42 PM11/5/14
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the feedback! It sounds like we will definitely have to consider having the option to disable the email field in Checkout. We've been mulling over the pros and cons of supporting the combinations of the features we make available in Checkout and feedback like this is very valuable.

Sorry that this has been an issue, please (you and Vlad) don't hesitate to ping me off-list. Super interested in hearing about the use case and your thoughts on how we can make Checkout better!

Cheers,
Matt
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to api-discuss+unsubscribe@lists.stripe.com.

Peter Baral

Nov 12, 2014, 11:25:57 AM11/12/14
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
I'm all with Nick and Vlad.

... and if you are it:

- Checkout still needs to be localized (in our case: German). The decimal separator in German is "," - Checkout shows "."
- Checkout's dialog view truncate's longer email addresses (it would be nice if it just dynamically resizes or court be made bigger thru params)

That would make a nice update :)

Cheers,
Peter
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to api-discuss...@lists.stripe.com.

Mikhail

Sep 19, 2015, 7:55:52 AM9/19/15
to Stripe API Discussion
Hey everyone,

Just wandering if there has been any further movement/discussion on this topic?
For the record we have pretty much the same use case as Nick (payments for already logged in users).

Thanks,
Mikhail.

Matthew Arkin

Sep 19, 2015, 2:22:00 PM9/19/15
to Jake K.
Hi Mikhail,
Currently you cannot turn of email collection, you can set data-email to the customer's email and they wouldn't be able to change or edit it though.

Matt

Mikhail

Sep 21, 2015, 8:20:48 AM9/21/15
to Stripe API Discussion
Hey Matthew, thanks for the response.

Yep, that's pretty much what we do now.
Sometimes it can be a little confusing if the email is not that of a current user, who is inputting the credit card info, but I realize that it's probably a pretty rare use case and can be fixed with a custom form..

Mikhail

Lee Fu

Mar 23, 2017, 10:27:34 PM3/23/17
to Stripe API Discussion
3 years later and still nothing?

Juanjo Candelario

Apr 4, 2017, 7:43:24 PM4/4/17
to Stripe API Discussion
I have the same problem, i can't believe that they are not worked with that :-/.

Jean-Baptiste Leydet

Jun 28, 2017, 8:29:43 AM6/28/17
to Stripe API Discussion
Same request here.

Michael Bianco

Aug 29, 2017, 11:52:26 AM8/29/17
to Stripe API Discussion
Same request here!

Mike McNeil

Dec 7, 2017, 5:59:38 PM12/7/17
to Stripe API Discussion, vladimir....@gmail.com
Same request here!  We use Stripe Checkout by default in the Sails framework to allow developers to easily accept billing info.  Then on the backend, Sails uses the Stripe API's `createCustomer` and `updateCustomer` endpoints to attach the received token to a particular customer.

So the email address has to be redundantly specified in two places in the code, which is kind of annoying, and hard to explain in our docs.  (It also creates some weird edge cases-- for example, as of Dec 2017, I noticed that pre-populating `f...@example.com` as the "email"; when spawning Stripe Checkout causes the official modal to automatically jump to the "Could not verify by SMS" step.  All other emails work -- it's just f...@example.com that doesn't.  I'm guessing this is some remaining entanglement from the "remember me" feature, even though this still happens when it is disabled.  All the more reason it'd be nice to just disable the "email" thing altogether...)

Thanks y'all -- and great work on Checkout & Elements!

-m