Bank Account digits checks

Mark Berry

Apr 22, 2015, 3:01:38 PM4/22/15
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Is Stripe checking bank accounts for a certain number of digits? I notice that number of digits is all over the place in America. Are there letters in bank acccounts in other countries?
How strict is Stripe on this? Where are errors thrown back?

Thanks
Mark

Brian Krausz

Apr 22, 2015, 3:29:45 PM4/22/15
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hi Mark,

We perform fairly loose validation depending on the country for the account. In the US, we only validate that the account number is numberic and at most 17 digits long. Outside the US there's much more validation we can perform, for example for IBANs in EU.

We validate this whenever an account number is passed in: either via tokenization or a hash when attaching to a customer/recipient/account.

Thanks,
Brian