Stripe subscription invoicing suggestions

jonathon...@rightside.co

Feb 17, 2014, 9:57:08 PM2/17/14
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hi,

I was wondering if there are any plans to support the following features, or if there are any known work-arounds that don't involve taking invoice/charge generating into our own hands.

1. Ability to "preview" adding or updating a subscription to see Stripe's calculation of the charges. Especially for prorated charges.
2. The ability to create and invoice multiple subscriptions at the same time. For example. a subscription for $10/mo and a subscription for $30/year are created and a single $40 invoice is generated with two invoice items. This way all initial charges happen at once in a single transaction.
3. It sounds like there are already plans to support renewing selected subscriptions together in a single invoice/transaction. This would be excellent!
4. The ability to specify how many days early that a subscription (or plans) should be renewed (e.g. 30 days early on 12 month periods). That way if there are costs associated with renewing the customer's service those costs can be avoided if the customer fails to pay in time.

The multiple subscription feature is critical improvement for us. The changes above (especially #2, #3, and #4) would go a long ways towards making our usage of Stripe pain-free.

Thanks!

-Jonny

Please NOTE: This electronic message, including any attachments, may include privileged, confidential and/or inside information owned by Rightside Group, Ltd. Any distribution or use of this communication by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system. Thank you.

Jim Danz

Feb 19, 2014, 9:21:53 PM2/19/14
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hi Jonny,

Thanks for writing in. All reasonable asks.

> 1. Ability to "preview" adding or updating a subscription to see Stripe's
> calculation of the charges. Especially for prorated charges.
I would be the last to disagree that this would be useful, but I can't
say that we have immediate plans to implement such a feature.

> 2. The ability to create and invoice multiple subscriptions at the same
> time. For example. a subscription for $10/mo and a subscription for $30/year
> are created and a single $40 invoice is generated with two invoice items.
> This way all initial charges happen at once in a single transaction.
> 3. It sounds like there are already plans to support renewing selected
> subscriptions together in a single invoice/transaction. This would be
> excellent!
We're still working out the details of what want to build here, but we
will do *something* to address the pain point for people that have
billing relationships that are too complex to represent with just one
plan, but that should bill jointly rather than independently. I can't
offer a timeline for this yet.

> 4. The ability to specify how many days early that a subscription (or plans)
> should be renewed (e.g. 30 days early on 12 month periods). That way if
> there are costs associated with renewing the customer's service those costs
> can be avoided if the customer fails to pay in time.
This, I think we can help you with, at least indirectly. Very shortly
(should be within the next 2 weeks) we will be introducing a "custom
billing cycle anchor" parameter that should let you do things like
"create a yearly subscription, charge for a full year now, and then
the next billing cycle date is in 11 months, not 12 months."

I think that we'd stop short of letting the "billing date" deviate
from the current_period_end because on our side, periods *are* when to
bill, but letting you flexibly set the billing anchor should hopefully
address the core of the pain point there.

Jim

Mickey Johnnyson

May 11, 2014, 12:59:39 PM5/11/14
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hi Jim,
I am also waiting for the feature with multiple subscriptions in one invoice (one payment) as I implemented the multiple subscriptions per customer feature from day 1 back in February when it was released. Any news on this feature request? Or maybe send me a link to the proper Topic with the latest news on this. Look forward to this :)

Thanks!

Rgds
Mickey

Paul Anthony NPO

Jun 3, 2014, 3:53:14 PM6/3/14
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hey just two quick questions, is the parameter [billing_cycle_anchor] and whats the format on the date value?

Thanks, Aaron

Alexander Savchenko

Aug 19, 2015, 3:14:13 PM8/19/15
to Stripe API Discussion
Hi Jim.

Any news about one invoice for few subscriptions feature?

WBR, Alex.