Questions about rate of exchange and minimum amount

Carlos Cano García

Apr 21, 2015, 7:55:23 AM4/21/15
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Can I know the rate of exchange when you make a payment in a currency other than my local currency?
What is the minimum amount for the currencies other than my current currency?
What is the minimum amount for the zero-decimal currencies?

Peter

Apr 21, 2015, 10:22:00 AM4/21/15
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hi there! These are all good questions, and I'm reasonably sure 2 and 3 aren't publicly documented anywhere I could see.

1) No. This is something we thought about before, but it tends to not be that useful. The use case here tends to look something along the lines of: "adjust the price immediately before the charge to match with the exchange rate". If you want to do this, you're probably better off setting the price in the currency that you would be converting it to, and letting the issuing bank convert the customer's local currency into a fixed amount of the settlement currency. Could you explain a bit more about your use case for this, so I have a bit more context?

2) If a charge isn't denominated in the settlement currency, the charge amount is converted to the settlement currency, then the usual restrictions apply. Eg: If I tried to charge $0.60 CAD and settle in USD, right now, that converts to $0.49 USD, so it would be rejected. If I tried to settle the same charge in CAD, on the other hand, it would be allowed.

3) The minimum amount for all currencies is 50 "currency units" (usually cents/pence/etc.), except for DKK (250), SEK (300), and NOK (300).

For a bit of context, the reason we don't allow very small charges is that the fixed Stripe fee tends to eat up almost all of the charge amount. You usually end up paying most of the charge amount (or more than the charge amount, for _really_ small charges) to us, which probably isn't what you want.

- Peter

PS: when you create and delete 3 posts, it still sends out emails to everyone subscribed to the list. If you want to amend your post in the future, it's better if you reply to the original post, since then people's email clients will create 1 email thread instead of 3.