editing saved card info

Jamin Benjamin

Apr 10, 2016, 11:24:58 AM4/10/16
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
When clicking 'Edit' on a customer card in the dashboard, I noticed that one can only update exp month/year (and optionals).

I would have thought CVC would have been editable along with.  Is there some specific reason it is not editable?

Say I have a card that is about to expire. I have received my new card in the mail.  It is the same account number but the exp and cvc are different.  Would I have to create a new card?

Remi J.

Apr 10, 2016, 11:26:13 AM4/10/16
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hey,

You can't update the CVC or the number of a given card. In that situation, you have to create a new token with all the information and then replace the existing one on the customer.

Cheers,
Remi

Kris White

Apr 10, 2016, 11:27:56 AM4/10/16
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Is updating the CVC even necessarily? It would always change with an updated expiration date, but I thought PCI said you couldn’t save cvc anyway, so why is not just putting in the new expiration on the card object not adequate?

Remi J.

Apr 10, 2016, 11:37:53 AM4/10/16
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hey Kris,

We can't save the CVC, that's correct, but we can still use it for the first card validation or charge if it happens after the tokenization. It's definitely not required to do so here, but since you can't know in advance whether only the expiration date changed, without tokenizing first, it seems better to ask for all values in that case. That way, if the card has been renewed and the customer got a new card number you can still tokenize it and validate all the info including the CVC with the bank.

Cheers,
Remi

Jamin Benjamin

Apr 12, 2016, 10:40:35 AM4/12/16
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
yes, apologies there, I should have thought that through a little further.  You are correct, CVC is a pass or fail bit,  I was thinking about it in the wrong way.

Thanks for the responses anyway!

cheers,
jamin