Bitcoin refunds failing

Leo H

Jul 29, 2015, 1:14:30 AM7/29/15
to Stripe API Discussion
Hello again,
I'm hearing from more and more customers that they're not able to get bitcoin refunds to work.

Some of the failure modes we're seeing:
1) Customer receives an email from Stripe with a refund form. They paste an address and get an error like this:
"You did not provide an API key. You need to provide your API key in the Authorization header, using Bearer auth (e.g. 'Authorization: Bearer YOUR_SECRET_KEY'). See https://stripe.com/docs/api#authentication for details, or we can help at https://support.stripe.com."

2) Via dashboard, I manually attempt a refund and see  "Refund failed. Please try again in a few hours."

What's going on? Why such cryptic errors being shown to customers? Are these known issues or some internal policy? I've written to customer support multiple times over the past week and haven't heard anything back.

Max Lahey

Aug 5, 2015, 3:00:56 PM8/5/15
to Stripe API Discussion
Hi Leo —

Very sorry for the delayed response here. Both of these failure modes arose from small bugs that have since been resolved.

I’ve just now pushed a fix for the first issue. Any users who were seeing the (regrettably cryptic!) 'API key' error message should now be able to issue their own refund successfully.

Towards the end of last week, I pushed a separate fix for the bug you were seeing manifest in the dashboard. We were not intentionally preventing you from issuing bitcoin refunds. The error wholly prevented the refunds from being created, so there’s no chance of you accidentally refunding twice as much if you submit them now.

Let me know if you have any questions about either issue.

Best,
Max

Leo H

Aug 6, 2015, 5:12:58 PM8/6/15
to Stripe API Discussion
Hi Max,
Thanks for the updates. I'm glad that these were recognized as bugs and fixed quickly!

I'm trying to improve my customers' buying experience and simple refunds are part of that story. That said, is it possible to programmatically issue a refund from an unused bitcoin receiver?

Cheers,
-=Leo