Receipt Numbers

Jonathan Rivera

Oct 25, 2015, 5:35:46 PM10/25/15
to Stripe API Discussion
Does anyone have experience with displaying Receipt Numbers via the invoice object?

I'm using the Stripe API and have no problem pulling in the invoice objects. It seems that some invoices do not have receipt numbers available in the API while others do. If I check those same invoices in the Stripe dashboard there's a receipt # when previewing the receipt.

Is that normal behavior?

Matthew Arkin

Oct 25, 2015, 5:41:11 PM10/25/15
to Jake K.
The receipt number would only be available if a receipt was sent for that invoice (aka there was an email set up for that customer).

Matt

Jonathan Rivera

Oct 25, 2015, 6:16:41 PM10/25/15
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
That makes sense. I do have a follow up question to that though. Would that be true if i'm using the API in test mode? If i'm not mistaken, test mode never sends an email receipt but I still have some invoices with receipt numbers (all created in test mode).

Just trying to make sure that when I roll this out live, the receipt numbers will display as it should since I have email receipts turned on.

--
Jonathan Rivera
i-4Web

Mads

Nov 19, 2016, 7:50:36 AM11/19/16
to Stripe API Discussion
Hi

Did you figure this out? I'm in the same situation, not getting receipt numbers in my API responses.

Remi J.

Nov 19, 2016, 7:52:49 AM11/19/16
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hey Mads,

In Test mode we don't send email receipt by default. This means that, when you create the charge via the API, the `receipt_number` will always be null. What you can do though is manually send a receipt for a given charge in the dashboard by clicking on "Send Receipt". Once you do that, we send an email receipt so the `receipt_number` property becomes set. If you call the Retrieve Charge API [1] after that you'll see that it works.

Hope this helps!
Remi

Mads Hargreave

Nov 19, 2016, 8:17:51 AM11/19/16
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Great, thank you Remi

Another question. Is it possible to attach additional information to Stripe email receipts?

For example, I am required by law to include my business’ VAT number and address on the receipts, but I haven’t found a way for this to be possible

Am I missing something?

Remi J.

Nov 19, 2016, 8:19:52 AM11/19/16
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Unfortunately, this is not something that we support on our email receipts and the best solution here is to build your own receipts so that you can display what you want.

I'd recommend to reach out to our support team directly to provide more details around this requirement, where you're based and what you're trying to achieve. You can contact them directly from here: https://support.stripe.com/email

Israel Vainberg

Apr 5, 2017, 7:41:11 AM4/5/17
to Stripe API Discussion
Hi Remi J,

A little question:
Once I will be in live mode is it safe to say that a webhook for the event type invoice.payment_succeeded will include the receipt_number (assuming I have the automatic receipts feature activated)?
Will I be able to query the Charge object and get receipt_number which is not null?

TNX

בתאריך יום שבת, 19 בנובמבר 2016 בשעה 14:52:49 UTC+2, מאת Remi J.:

Remi J.

Apr 5, 2017, 7:42:21 AM4/5/17
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hey Israel,

That's correct, if an email receipt was sent, this property will be populated on the event.

Cheers,
Remi

93V

Jul 3, 2017, 8:49:20 AM7/3/17
to Stripe API Discussion
Hey Remi,

Following on from this, can Stripe generate a receipt number without a receipt being sent to the buyer? Or is it possible to generate a receipt number through API?

Thanks,
Justin 93V

Remi J.

Jul 3, 2017, 9:13:20 AM7/3/17
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hey Justin,

It's not possible to do this via our API. The `receipt_number` is generated and populated only if an email receipt has been sent to the customer. Without the email receipt, you would simply generate your own receipt number in your system. Your can add this as metadata on the charge to find it easily in the dashboard for example.

Best,
Remi

Setu Patel

Oct 20, 2021, 11:44:40 AM10/20/21
to Stripe API Discussion, re...@stripe.com
Hi remi

I have a question. My issue is when i make a subscription and with promocode and amount payable is zero than i am getting null charge. for this case how can i get the receipt? Will You please help me.

Thank you.

Remi J.

Oct 20, 2021, 12:40:58 PM10/20/21
to Setu Patel, Stripe API Discussion
Hello,

When the invoice amount is for $0 there isn't an email receipt for the Charge in that case since there is no Charge being created. But when you are using Subscriptions, you should use the Invoice's number instead of the receipt number. You want to look at the Subscription's `latest_invoice` [1] which you can Expand [2] into a full object and that gives you the Invoice object with the `number` property [3]. That's what you'd store in your database and search for in the Dashboard as that's what your customer should be familiar with.

You might want to chat directly with our support team for more support: https://support.stripe.com/contact

Best,
Remi