Subscription billing - end of month

Custom Donations

Feb 14, 2018, 4:09:35 PM2/14/18
to Stripe API Discussion
We're using Trial periods to allow people the schedule the start date of their recurring donations.

We just noticed a lot of payments come through scheduled to start on Feb 28th; most likely the donors want their gift to recur at the end of each month.

Will the monthly gifts recur on March 28th? How can we change that to end of the month?

In the docs it says "If a month does not have the anchor day, it will be billed on the last day of the month. For example, a subscription starting on January 31st will bill on February 28th (or 29th in a leap year), then March 31st, April 30th, and so on." So it's great if they setup a payment for start on Jan 31... not so great for months with less days.

Jonathan Lomas

Feb 14, 2018, 4:36:16 PM2/14/18
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hi there!

That's a great question!  If you were to use Feb 28, it would in fact recur on the 28th of each month.  In terms of anchoring it to the 'last day of the month', I'm looking into this right now and I'll let you know as soon as I know more.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Custom Donations

Jonathan Lomas

Feb 21, 2018, 3:32:37 PM2/21/18
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
You can definitely do this by just redoing the `billing_cycle_anchor` (with prorate: false) again in March, and using March 31 as the `billing_cycle_anchor` timestamp.

There's no way to pin to the 'last day of any/every month', just the 'last day of this month', so if 'this month' is September, April, June or November (or February of course), you're not actually going to get the 'last day of any/every month' and you'll have to 'reset' those in one of the 31-day months to get the behavior you're looking for.

Cheers,

Jonathan

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 12:22 PM Custom Donations <ad...@customdonations.com> wrote:
[...]

Austin

Feb 22, 2018, 8:17:41 AM2/22/18
to Stripe API Discussion
Just to add to this as a question since it's peaked my interest. If the initial date is (for example) January 31st, would it automatically pull then on the 28th and 30th respectively?

Remi J.

Feb 22, 2018, 8:19:00 AM2/22/18
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hey Austin,

In that case that's what would happen yes. If a subscription is anchored to the last day of the month (or a date that doesn't exist for that month, specifically February) then the subscription is billed on the last day of that month and then back to its normal billing day on the following month.

Bestm
Remi