[Stripe Checkout] Setting cardholder name for generated tokens?

Vladimir Andrijevik

Dec 1, 2014, 5:53:09 AM12/1/14
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hello Stripers,

When using Stripe Checkout, is there any way to set the cardholder’s name for a credit card? https://stripe.com/docs/checkout does not mention any way to do this, and even with the custom integration, we have no control over the data that gets sent to Stripe for tokenization.

As a result, any token that gets created has a `null` value for the card.name property, which makes it impossible to attach a name to one-time charges made through Stripe Checkout. All of these charges show “No name provided” when viewed on the Payment Details page on Stripe Dashboard, and have an empty value for Card Name in exports.

As an alternative, is there any way to update a token before it is used? Much like the name on a [card can be updated](https://stripe.com/docs/api#update_card), it would be great to be able to do this on a token, so we can at least set the name on the back-end after getting a `stripeToken` from Stripe Checkout and before using it to create a charge or customer (because I don’t suspect you’ll add an option for card name to Stripe Checkout any time soon).

Thanks,
Vlad

Scott Fotheringham

Dec 1, 2014, 9:17:23 AM12/1/14
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hi Vlad,

I don't believe there's a way to update a token after it has been generated. Unless I'm mistaken - and please correct me if I am - the token is a one-time random hash representing the info sent to Stripe. It doesn't actually contain any data, it simply represents data stored at Stripe's end. So the only way to update it would be to generate an entirely new one (no help to you though).

Would it help to use the email field as the customer's name? And then pull that from Stripe via the API afterwards to deal with it? I don't believe that field is actually validated by Stripe.js as a correctly formatted email address (I could be wrong). Or are you trying to pass the name as an actual check parameter with the customer's bank?

Scott

Matthew Arkin

Dec 2, 2014, 12:22:27 AM12/2/14
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com, api-d...@lists.stripe.com
You can set the name if you ask for the billing address. (The feature has been deprecated but still exists). I have it documented at http://mattarkin.com/how-to-get-billing-and-shipping-address-data-from-stripe-checkout/

Note, Stripe doesn't verify names against the card networks.

Matt

Sent from Mailbox

Vladimir Andrijevik

Dec 2, 2014, 8:11:08 AM12/2/14
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Thanks for writing Matt! Unfortunately, that is not what I am after, since I don’t want to present address fields in the form – I just want to associate a name with the credit card represented by the token. I’ll just use metadata on the charge instead.

Cheers,
Vlad

Ildar Khakimov

Jun 21, 2016, 1:28:39 AM6/21/16
to Stripe API Discussion
Are you sure about that?

States that we should gather additional client in case the payment declines, data such as name

"The influence of other data that you collect, like the address or name, varies by card brand. For example, only American Express consider the customer’s name. If you are still seeing troubles with declines after collecting the more influential fields, it might be worthwhile to collect this additional data."

I don't know maybe it's a recent change.

Remi J.

Jun 21, 2016, 1:32:09 AM6/21/16
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hey,

This isn't a recent change but that answer is from late 2014 when it might not have been fully documented. Iif you collect the cardholder's name we will send it to the bank whether they check it or not. Right now, only American Express looks at that field though and it can help with declines!

Hope this helps,
Remi