Getting the amount of application_fee refunded on each Refund record

Alex Dirigible

May 2, 2017, 9:02:48 AM5/2/17
to Stripe API Discussion
HI there - we use Stripe Connect and application fees for our app and I'm struggling to find a way to show how much of the application fee is refunded on a per-refund basis.  I can get the net application fee amount from the original Charge's balance, but in the case of multiple refunds for a single charge I'm hoping I can find out how each refund affected the application fee.  Is this possible?

Thanks kindly in advance for any help.

Alex

Remi J.

May 2, 2017, 9:25:19 AM5/2/17
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hey Alex,

At the moment, the only solution is to retrieve the Application Fee via the API [1] and then look at the refunds property [2]. This would list all the refunds on this application fee and you can then match the application fee refund to your charge refund per the `created` date. You can also expand [3] the application fee during the refund to get everything in one API request.

This is definitely not a good experience and is one of the edge-cases of our API that we'd like to fix in the future to make this a lot easier for platforms to go from the refund to the application fee refund automatically.

Hope this helps,
Remi

Alex Dirigible

May 3, 2017, 3:52:05 PM5/3/17
to Stripe API Discussion
Thanks for that quick response -- much appreciated.  Is there any way to get the actual refund ID for an ApplicationFeeRefund object?  The timestamp will usually work, but sometimes we refund an order with multiple payments (e.g. they were on a payment plan) in a single shot so the timestamps could collide.

Remi J.

May 3, 2017, 4:39:40 PM5/3/17
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hey Alex,

There's unfortunately no link in the API between the two yet. It's definitely something we'd love to fix in the future though but right now the only solution would be to rely on the `created` property.

Cheers,
Remi

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 3:50 PM, Alex Dirigible <al...@dunae.ca> wrote:
Thanks for that quick response -- much appreciated.  Is there any way to get the actual refund ID for an ApplicationFeeRefund object?  The timestamp will usually work, but sometimes we refund an order with multiple payments (e.g. they were on a payment plan) in a single shot so the timestamps could collide.

Alex Dunae

May 3, 2017, 4:48:17 PM5/3/17
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Got it — thanks again for the quick replies.

Alex Dunae

May 4, 2017, 6:58:24 PM5/4/17
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
One more question, this time about correlating the actual Stripe fees with individual refunds.  I can make do with the timestamp matching, but I can't seem to find an endpoint that shows the actual change in the Stripe fees collected per refund (all I'm seeing are the cumulative results).  Is the fee difference per refund available anywhere?

Remi J.

May 4, 2017, 7:10:56 PM5/4/17
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hey Alex,

The fee details live on the balance transaction object associated with the Charge or the Refund. If you retrieve the Refund object via the API [1] and expand [2] the balance transaction, you would see the `fee_details` property [3] telling you how much we refunded on our fee.