Missing balance_transaction type explination of possible states

Ronald

Jun 8, 2017, 10:24:41 AM6/8/17
to Stripe API Discussion
Hi,

I could not find any detailed documentation on the possible values of the balance_transaction property type.
The only resource I can spot is the listing of the types here.
Is there some documentation on the possible states of type I missed or can someone provide a detailed description of what each state is?

Thanks
Ron

Remi J.

Jun 8, 2017, 10:28:05 AM6/8/17
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hey Ron,

That list that you mentioned is exhaustive and shows all the types that a Balance Transaction object [1] could describe. The list is under the `type` property documentation [2] and says:

Transaction type: adjustment, application_fee, application_fee_refund, charge, payment, payment_failure_refund, payment_refund, refund, transfer, transfer_refund, payout, payout_cancel, payout_failure, or validation.

We don't have any specific documentation describing what each type means though they should be self explanatory and represent a related resource and its state such as a charge, a payout or a payout failure.

Hope this helps!
Remi

Ronald

Jun 9, 2017, 12:32:02 PM6/9/17
to Stripe API Discussion
Hi Remi,
I don't fell like all of those types are self explanatory and I am especially unsure of validation and adjustment.
Can you maybe explain these 2 types and when we are expected to see them?

Best Regards,
Ron

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 10:04 AM, Ronald <ronald....@smarter-ecommerce.com> wrote:
Hi,

I could not find any detailed documentation on the possible values of the balance_transaction property type.
The only resource I can spot is the listing of the types here.
Is there some documentation on the possible states of type I missed or can someone provide a detailed description of what each state is?

Thanks
Ron

Remi J.

Jun 9, 2017, 12:34:15 PM6/9/17
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hey Ron,

You should ignore the validation one, it should not appear in the docs I think and I'll make sure the team fixes this one, I didn't notice it at first.

As for the adjustment, it happens when we take funds from your account for example during a dispute. If you create a dispute in your account in test mode and look at the corresponding balance transaction you would see that the type is adjustment. It can also describe fees that we would take monthly, such as the one we take for Stripe Connect each month.

Hope this helps!
Remi

Julien

Jun 22, 2017, 5:32:25 AM6/22/17
to Stripe API Discussion
Hey Remi,

It's not crystal clear either for me.
Specifically, what are the differences between charge and payment?
And why is there a payment_failure_refund and not a charge_failure_refund?

Thanks!
Julien

Remi J.

Jun 22, 2017, 5:41:57 AM6/22/17
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hey Julien,

A Payment represents a Charge created on any payment source that is not a card. This means that if you charge a debit or credit card, you get back a charge. If you charge a bank account or a bitcoin source (or any other payment source) you will get a payment back. Similarly, if you create a charge via `destination` [1] or transfer funds to a connected account, the resulting object in the connected account is also a payment instead of a charge.

To summarize: the only difference between a Charge and a Payment is the format of the id: ch_XXXX versus py_XXXX. All the other properties are the same and we use the same resource/object to represent those.

That's also the reason why there are two types of balance transactions for those, one when the charge refund failed and one where the payment refund failed (for example if we refund an ACH payment and the bank account was closed).

Hope this clarifies the situation!
Remi

Julien

Jun 22, 2017, 8:35:33 AM6/22/17
to Stripe API Discussion
Thanks Remi, makes it a lot more clear.

Re: payment_failure_refund, should I understand this is in case where a payment is refunded, but the refunds itself fails (e.g. as you said, the bank account was closed)? And in that case, the money expected to be refunded is "credited" back to the balance?
Why does a charge's refund not have the same kind of thing (e.g. a charge_failure_refund)?

Thanks!
Julien

Remi J.

Jun 22, 2017, 8:37:42 AM6/22/17
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hey Julien,

That's correct! The charge don't have a similar type because refund failure to a card would not happen. We send the funds back to the bank and they usually deal with their customer directly in that case by sending the funds to a different card on their end or cutting them a check out of band if the account has been closed since then.

Cheers,
Remi

Julien

Jun 22, 2017, 8:46:01 AM6/22/17