Allow dunning on invoices after the subscription is canceled

Ryan Wood

Jul 29, 2016, 1:58:00 PM7/29/16
to Stripe API Discussion
At MoonClerk, we have an expiration feature that will automatically cancel a subscription after a certain amount of time. We run a nightly job to expire (cancel) subscriptions when appropriate. We are running into an issue where an invoice fails and is open and then the subscription gets canceled which then automatically closes all open invoices. We need any invoices open at the time of cancelation to complete their dunning/retry process.

Ideally, there would be a boolean value you could passing into the subscription cancelation which you could leave open invoices alone vs. closing them. Without that, I'm thinking that we can see if there are any open invoices before we cancel, cancel the subscription, and then re-open the invoices. I have a few questions:

  1. Is that a viable solution?
  2. Will the dunning/retry start over when the invoice(s) are re-opened? (Ideally I like to continue with the original retry schedule.)
  3. Would I need to try to pay the invoice once re-opened or will that happen automatically?
Thanks for the feedback.

- Ryan