Localized merchant account creation

Steve Moulton

Feb 29, 2016, 6:16:32 PM2/29/16
to Stripe API Discussion
Hi

We've localized our application for users speaking Spanish, German, Italian and French. The issue is that when our users from those locale's select to create a merchant account and are sent over to Stripe, the merchant account creation form is appearing in English. Is there localized versions of the merchant account creation form that can be accessed?

Thanks
Steve

Matthew Arkin

Feb 29, 2016, 6:22:50 PM2/29/16
to Jake K.

Steve Moulton

Feb 29, 2016, 6:32:15 PM2/29/16
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Thanks very much Matt

I got a largely localized form for Spanish (ES), Italian (IT) and French (FR). I tried &stripe_user[country]=DE hoping to get German, but that didn't work. Any idea if there is a localized form for German and what the country_code might be?

Steve

Matthew Arkin

Feb 29, 2016, 6:41:13 PM2/29/16
to Jake K.
DE does set the country to German so it would be the right country code. I'd assume that Stripe doesn't have localization for Germany yet (which wouldn't be too surprising) but I'll let them comment.

Amber Feng

Mar 3, 2016, 4:50:09 PM3/3/16
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hi there!

Really sorry for the late response here.

We don't have localized versions of the account forms right now --
sorry about that! (Matt's right that some of the fields on certain
forms are localized; this is something we've been experimenting around
with and you probably shouldn't rely on their existence.)

That being said, localization (and internationalization generally) is
something we're working on right now. No timelines yet, but we'll be
sure to update this thread when we start to roll out more of it in the
account form in particular.

Amber

andrew chase

Dec 15, 2016, 3:52:22 PM12/15/16
to Stripe API Discussion
Hi Amber,

I was curious if you could give any more insight around plans for further language localization?

Specifically, it seems like right now you are combining the concepts of language and country into the same "stripe_user[country]=" value versus the more standard locale value that would encode both language and country independently. Maybe there's another query string parameter I'm just not seeing? Can I, for instance, provide an experience for "es_US" - a Spanish speaking person in the US?

Also, regarding your general point of timeline above, is there any more clarity around the plans for improved localization in the Stripe Connect product?

Thanks!

-Andrew

Remi J.

Dec 15, 2016, 7:18:37 PM12/15/16
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Hey Andrew,

It's definitely something we thought about so that, as a platform, you can choose the language to display the activation form in the right language for your users. Unfortunately this is not something that we support at the moment we don't have a timeline to share for future updates just yet!

Sorry we don't yet have a better answer!
Remi

andrew chase

Dec 16, 2016, 12:00:19 PM12/16/16
to Stripe API Discussion
Huh... sadness. I'm surprised you guys went that route, but I assume you have good reasons :).

Thanks for the update and please consider this a vote for doing the proper localization w/in your product - language and country are not 1:1!

Cheers,
Andrew

t...@palmerandersen.com

Nov 20, 2017, 3:49:49 PM11/20/17
to Stripe API Discussion
Its been two years now and still no support for locale=fr or similar on the stripeconnect oauth. We have clients in many languages, have translated our site, but have no control over Stripe's translations.

Any timelines?

Alex Sexton

Nov 20, 2017, 3:57:10 PM11/20/17
to api-d...@lists.stripe.com
Localization of the Stripe Connect and OAuth flows is currently an in-progress project at Stripe. We generally don't publicly estimate launch timelines for these types of things, but we are actively dedicating developers to localize the entire dashboard, along with the Connect/OAuth flows, and it's something we hope to launch as soon as it's ready.