Repo cleanup coming this week

Monty Brandenberg

Mar 6, 2021, 8:49:15 PM3/6/21
to opensou...@lists.secondlife.com

Sorry about the late notice. A release merge needs to get unwound
and if you can avoid pulling bad commits, your life will be easier.
Some details in Inara's blog:

https://modemworld.me/2021/03/06/2021-ccug-and-tpv-developer-meetings-week-9/

More info this coming week...

Henri Beauchamp

Mar 7, 2021, 5:11:12 AM3/7/21
On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 20:49:11 -0500, Monty Brandenberg wrote:

> Sorry about the late notice. A release merge needs to get unwound
> and if you can avoid pulling bad commits, your life will be easier.
> Some details in Inara's blog:
>
> https://modemworld.me/2021/03/06/2021-ccug-and-tpv-developer-meetings-week-9/

I was not present at that meeting (voice meetings are a no-no for
me) but by judging from the text summary on Inara's blog (many thanks
Inara for those summaries !), I'd say that the texture cache issue
got *strictly nothing* to do with the assets cache rollback.

In my experience, rainbow textures are due to bugs in the curl
version used by LL and most (all ?) other TPVs, when HTTP pipelining
is enabled.
Maybe that bug did not show up often enough to get noticed (with a
primed texture cache it will show less often because there will be
less texture downloads, and the lower the max simultaneous HTTP
requests, the rarer the occurrence). The issue arises when the
pipeline gets trashed following a large number of requests.

I am personally using the old (but bug-free) LL-patched version of
curl v7.47 for my official viewer builds, and offer an option to
build against LL's curl v7.54.1, which got the pipelining bug, but
for which I developed a workaround which basically detects the issue,
temporarily disables the pipelining and re-downloads the "rainbowed"
textures, then re-enables pipelining some time later (still too
hackish for my taste, thus why I prefer using v7.47).

As for the new simple assets cache, I think I got all its bugs fixed
now, and as I said (or rather wrote) at the last Open Source meeting,
yes I can now confirm that OpenSim grids lack the static VFS anims
in their database, so yes, those assets need to keep being distributed
with the (TPV) viewers (and used in LLKeyFramemotion).
The (fixed) simple asset cache code is in use in my last Cool VL
Viewer release (v1.28.2.13): people curious about it are most
welcome to test it and try to break it (and if you do, please do
report any bug you would find). :-D

Regards,

Henri.

slacker

Mar 7, 2021, 9:14:21 AM3/7/21
to opensource-dev, sl...@free.fr
Unfortunately unable to reproduce these issues on my builds in Linux.
 Merge in master tip today.
One thing I see that is different in my builds is that I have rebuilt curl with a newer zlib.
We all know how much fun that would be to upgrade zlib !.
Took that on while back when upgrading prebuilts last year.

Henri Beauchamp

Mar 7, 2021, 9:31:27 AM3/7/21
to opensource-dev
On Sun, 7 Mar 2021 06:14:21 -0800 (PST), slacker wrote:

> Unfortunately unable to reproduce these issues on my builds in Linux.
> Merge in master tip today.
> One thing I see that is different in my builds is that I have rebuilt curl
> with a newer zlib.

My curl builds are against the very latest zlib too, under Linux. This
is unrelated.

Note that seeing that bug arise or not may also be related to the HTTP
server you are connected to... With curl 7.54, servers honouring HTTP 2
will see the viewer use this protocol instead of HTTP 1.1 (which is the
protocol affected by the "pipelining" bug).

Since SL is now using CDN servers for assets (including textures) HTTP
downloads, the bug may arise or not depending on your home country or
region and how is configured the CDN server(s) serving it...

Henri.

Whirly Fizzle

Mar 7, 2021, 10:34:52 AM3/7/21
to opensource-dev, sl...@free.fr
I suspect the corrupted textures issue caused by the viewer rollback is caused by something similar to BUG-11331 - Lowering Cache Size and relogging results in many corrupted textures

Henri Beauchamp

Mar 7, 2021, 10:58:21 AM3/7/21
to opensource-dev
On Sun, 7 Mar 2021 07:34:52 -0800 (PST), Whirly Fizzle wrote:

> I suspect the corrupted textures issue caused by the viewer rollback is
> caused by something similar to BUG-11331 - Lowering Cache Size and
> relogging results in many corrupted textures
> <https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-11331>

It would be a possibility if this bug had not been (supposedly) fixed
months ago already:
https://bitbucket.org/lindenlab/viewer/commits/27117cd8e4a94542994764ac23d555b919d270b8

Henri.

Tonya Souther

Mar 7, 2021, 1:22:17 PM3/7/21
to opensource-dev
Yes, but did it *stay* fixed?

--
Archives of earlier incarnations of this list are at https://list-archives.secondlife.com
---

Brad Payne (Vir Linden)

Mar 8, 2021, 7:43:27 AM3/8/21
to Whirly Fizzle, opensource-dev, sl...@free.fr
Whirly, that is our working hypothesis. So far we have no way to consistently repro the issue, making it hard to test any potential fix.

--
Archives of earlier incarnations of this list are at https://list-archives.secondlife.com
---

Henri Beauchamp

Mar 8, 2021, 10:01:57 AM3/8/21
to opensource-dev
On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 07:43:09 -0500, Brad Payne (Vir Linden) wrote:

> Whirly, that is our working hypothesis. So far we have no way to
> consistently repro the issue, making it hard to test any potential fix.

If it is really a textures cache resizing issue (which I personally
doubt, since that kind of issue was already addressed months ago), it
should be super-easy to reproduce 100% reliably: simply fill up the
cache (flying around in main land with 512m DD) resize the cache down
and relog !

If you fail to reproduce it, I suggest you proceed as follow:

- Clear the cache.

- Set the HTTP fetches setting (TextureFetchConcurrency) to the the
maximum.

- Enable pipelining (HttpPipelining setting) and disable HTTP 2 (if
possible, but I do not think there is such a setting in the viewer),
*or* choose a DNS that will make your viewer connect to a CDN server
not configured for HTTP 2.

- Log in and watch for rainbow textures; increasing the draw distance
to the max (512m in LL's viewer) while flying around on main land
will cause the pipeline to trash at some point (with LL's current
curl version), causing incomplete/truncated texture downloads.

I suspect that the residents who encountered rainbow textures were
the victim of that bug.

Regards,

Henri.