Github Contributor License: Switching from the ONF CLA to DCO

Fabian Ruffy

Jun 30, 2024, 5:32:41 PMJun 30
to p4-dev, p4-an...@lists.p4.org

Hi everyone,

Now that we are part of the Linux foundation we will switch away from the ONF CLA to DCO for Github pull requests and contributions. DCO is the main mode of license management for LF projects. Compared to the ONF CLA, it does not require manager approval for company contributions. This should simplify the contribution process.

We will slowly roll out mandatory DCO on all repositories. DCO requires to sign your commits on PRs with "Signed-off-by:".

The following link provides good tips on how to manage contributing to a DCO repository. Commit hooks are the easiest mechanism to automate signoff

https://github.com/src-d/guide/blob/master/developer-community/fix-DCO.md

Fabian