Early announcement of talk for 2024-Apr-02 P4.org open source developer days

Andy Fingerhut

Feb 28, 2024, 10:45:48 AMFeb 28
to p4-dev
This meeting is still a little bit over a month in the future, but I wanted to announce it since it has been arranged with the speaker.  I will re-announce it shortly about a week before the talk, as a reminder, and also publish instructions for joining the meeting at that time.

As usual, if you have any topics you would like to present, or know someone who you can persuade to, please let me know.

Regards,
Andy Fingerhut

Date: April 2, 2024
Time: 11am-noon USA Pacific time
Speaker: Steffen Lindner
Subject: The P4TG traffic generator and analyzer

We present P4TG, an open-source P4-based traffic generator (TG) which runs on the programmable Intel Tofino ASIC. In generation mode, P4TG is capable of generating traffic up to 1 Tb/s split across 10x 100 Gb/s ports. Thereby it measures rates directly in the data plane. Generated traffic may be fed back from the output to the input ports, possibly through other equipment, to record packet loss, packet reordering, inter-arrival times (IATs) and sampled round trip times (RTTs). Further, it supports VLAN, QinQ, and MPLS encapsulation. In analysis mode, P4TG measures rates on the input ports and IATs, and forwards traffic through its output ports. Existing software or P4-based traffic generators either lack the required accuracy, do not support high data rates, or do not provide sufficiently integrated measurement capabilities.