[P4-announce] Flightplan demo & FDP video

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Nik Sultana

unread,
Jan 25, 2021, 9:34:31 AM1/25/21
to p4-an...@lists.p4.org
Hi all, we're making the finishing touches on a demo for the Flightplan system for P4:
https://flightplan.cis.upenn.edu/
The demo runs completely in the browser and won't require you to install anything.
It features visualisation, animations, and graphs. It also links back to P4 code
that you'll see executing in the visualised network.

We're seeking feedback from the community on a mature beta. We've engineered it
to be intuitive, and faithful to low-level details, but additional feedback will
help us improve it further.

Please ping me off-list if you'd like to volunteer to try out the beta.

We're mindful that you're very busy, and to avoid taking too much of your time
we prepared some notes to quickly familiarise you with the demo and
to help structure the feedback to minimise the time you need to spend on it.

Heena (cc'd) did a great job on this demo, which we're pivoting into an online
teaching platform for networking -- you can see a video here: https://flightplan.cis.upenn.edu/SIGCSE_FDP.mp4
She's enthusiastic about working on SDN in industry after finishing her
MSc -- do reach out to her if you're looking for talent.

--
www.seas.upenn.edu/~nsultana


Sahil Gupta

unread,
Feb 11, 2021, 11:34:37 PM2/11/21
to p4-an...@lists.p4.org
Hi Nik,
I am working on an experiment where I am making several parallel connections between client and server machine.
Currently to check which packet accesses our register and modified or read value, we largely rely on switch logs and log_msg function.
Sometimes for a large number of parallel connections, logs become so large that it becomes hard to pinpoint errors in logic of the program.

So, my questions are:
1. Whether Flightplan contains GUI support to visualize packet processing events.
Like from the point it enters the port, then interacts with parser->ingress->egress->deparser.
2. If not, are you planning to create some support in future to visualise how different packets interact with pipeline elements like registers, tables, etc.

If not, then perhaps see if your team can add a feature that records packet interaction with pipeline elements and produce a video/graphics that show how different packets interact with pipeline elements as time passes. I believe such support would ease testing of their P4 program logic.


Regards
Sahil Gupta



_______________________________________________
P4-dev mailing list -- p4-...@lists.p4.org
To unsubscribe send an email to p4-dev...@lists.p4.org
%(web_page_url)slistinfo%(cgiext)s/%(_internal_name)s

Nik Sultana

unread,
May 9, 2021, 11:26:45 PM5/9/21
to p4-an...@lists.p4.org
On Mon, 25 Jan 2021, Nik Sultana wrote:

> Hi all, we're making the finishing touches on a demo for the Flightplan system for P4:
> https://flightplan.cis.upenn.edu/
> The demo runs completely in the browser and won't require you to install anything.
> It features visualisation, animations, and graphs. It also links back to P4 code
> that you'll see executing in the visualised network.

[snip]

Hi all, the demo's ready now and can be accessed at: https://flightplan.cis.upenn.edu/demo/
You can access the P4 code driving each device from links inside the demo.

> Heena (cc'd) did a great job on this demo, which we're pivoting into an online
> teaching platform for networking -- you can see a video here: https://flightplan.cis.upenn.edu/SIGCSE_FDP.mp4

We're releasing FDP soon -- we'll ping this list when we have further
info and I'll get back to a pending thread with Sahil.

> She's enthusiastic about working on SDN in industry after finishing her
> MSc -- do reach out to her if you're looking for talent.

For timeline, Heena graduates at the end of this calendar year.
Her LinkedIn is at https://www.linkedin.com/in/nagdaheena

--
www.seas.upenn.edu/~nsultana


Nik Sultana

unread,
Jul 6, 2021, 5:31:19 PM7/6/21
to p4-an...@lists.p4.org
On Sun, 09 May 2021, Nik Sultana wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2021, Nik Sultana wrote:
>
> > Hi all, we're making the finishing touches on a demo for the Flightplan system for P4:
> > https://flightplan.cis.upenn.edu/
> > The demo runs completely in the browser and won't require you to install anything.
> > It features visualisation, animations, and graphs. It also links back to P4 code
> > that you'll see executing in the visualised network.
> [snip]
>
> Hi all, the demo's ready now and can be accessed at: https://flightplan.cis.upenn.edu/demo/
> You can access the P4 code driving each device from links inside the demo.
[snip]

The demo's being presented this week -- here are the teaser and
full videos for the demo's presentation, they can help you navigate the
info from the links above:
https://flightplan.cis.upenn.edu/demo/ICDCS_OneMinuteVideo.mp4
https://flightplan.cis.upenn.edu/demo/ICDCS_TenMinutesVideo.mp4

Heena (cc'd in case you'd like to reach out) did a great job on this
demo. She graduates with her MS at the end of this calendar year, and
her LinkedIn is at https://www.linkedin.com/in/nagdaheena

--
www.seas.upenn.edu/~nsultana


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages