[P4-announce] 2021 P4 Workshop Wrap Up and Novel Use Award Winners

Michelle Roth

Jun 10, 2021, 12:27:24 PM6/10/21
to p4-an...@lists.p4.org
2021 P4 Workshop Wrap Up

The annual 2021 P4 Workshop took place May 17 - 20, 2021, and attracted over 1300 attendees over the three days of live keynotes! The keynote sessions were recorded and are now available on-demand, along with 25 topic-specific technical talks, demos and tutorials.

P4 has emerged as the leading domain-specific language for specifying programmable data planes, and we now have both a rich set of tools for P4 and growing number of use cases. Click here to read more about key takeaways from this year's Workshop and how P4's impact is growing across the industry.

Announcing 2021 P4 Workshop Novel Use Award Winners

This year two new awards were introduced at the P4 Workshop to encourage creative and disruptive use cases for P4. Awardees were determined based on a combination of community vote and program committee selection. Congratulations to this year’s winners who will each receive $500!

Most Novel Application of P4 in a Networking Use Case: “The Four Dimensional P4 Switches” - Paul Chang, CTO @ Asterfusion (videoslides)
Paul’s presentation details a four-dimensional P4 switch architecture that leverages P4 and other open source software technologies enabling creation and customization of high value network services and business applications for cloud and edge computing environments.

Most Novel Non-Networking Use of P4: “Quadcopter Implementation of an In-Network Centralized Collision Avoidance Algorithm in Programmable Data Planes” - Fabricio Rodriguez, PhD Student @ UNICAMP (videoslides)
In Fabricio’s burst talk, he uses quadcopters to describe how a centralized collision avoidance algorithm can utilize the benefits of P4 by adding the remote API functions to the edge device, enabling support of ultra-low latency applications.

In case you missed it, the annual 2021 P4 Workshop took place May 18 - 20 and all of the talks are now available on-demand.

Post-Event Survey
We are always striving to make our events the best they can be, and greatly value attendee feedback! If you were able to attend any of the live keynotes or have watched any of the on-demand talks, we want to hear from you. Here is the link to a very brief survey that will only take a few minutes to complete, and will help us to continue to improve your event experience.

Thank You to Our Sponsors
Last but certainly not least, a warm thank you to our 2021 P4 Workshop sponsors! This amazing event was made possible with their support.

2021P4WorkshopSponsorSlide3.jpeg