Never seen popup warning about update

Manuel Casal Lodeiro

Jul 23, 2021, 3:52:00 AM7/23/21
to support-...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello everybody. Hope you're all safe and taking care of your loved ones.

I was happy with 2.53.8 release to see that the old annoying bug of
email folders not opening their sub-folders was fixed. No more double
clicks needed to open them (in a new email window, which was not a
perfect workaround).

But to my sad surprise today, when starting Seamonkey, I've seen a popup
(which I attach) which I had never seen before.

Is it something new with this release?

I've not changed my Ubuntu distro. It's the same as all those previous
years. And I've been always able to automatically update via Ubuntu
updates until now. As you may surely know, when you are a superuser you
are asked whenever the Ubuntu update requires that you enter your
superuser password. So it makes no sense to me this "no permissions"
warning.

Anybody has a clue about what might be happening and what caused this
popup warning?

Thanks a lot in advance.
--
< Manuel Casal Lodeiro, (a) «Casdeiro» >

Miénteme, dime que no oponga resistencia,
que me deje llevar.
Miénteme, dime que no estamos al borde del
precipicio,
que este no es el principio del fin.
Miénteme, dime que todos lo estamos pasando
mal, que la crisis es pasajera,
que la prosperidad está a la vuelta de la esquina,
que no me preocupe por nada, que tu lo
arreglarás todo, que yo lo único que tengo que hacer
es votar por ti.

— Antonio Orihuela
capt-update-seamonkey.jpg

Erik Rull

Sep 4, 2021, 5:20:02 PM9/4/21
to support-...@lists.mozilla.org
I have the same message.
Run SM as root and install the updates, then close it an re-run it as normal
user. There seems to be the "elevation" popup to root missing which would allow
the installation as all other ubuntu updates.

Best regards,

Erik