Multiple filters for devices tab in Mender UI

Cihan Ucar

Dec 19, 2017, 4:01:47 PM12/19/17
to Mender List mender.io
The devices tab in the Mender UI has a custom filter feature but it is only limited to the ID field. Is it possible to create custom filters other than the ID column, such as mac_wlan0, artifact_name, mender_client_version, kernel etc?
This is really important in terms of searching, filtering devices when you have hundreds of them.

Same way, Create a group dialog also needs a search for custom metadata mac_wlan0, artifact_name fields etc. The only way to search for devices is the Device Identity. How does Mender assign a device identity? An example: 5a1596aeb414900001001db7

I attached two screenshots to give more context.

Thanks.
Cihan
Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 12.59.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 1.00.50 PM.png

Michael

Dec 20, 2017, 2:16:55 AM12/20/17
to Mender List mender.io

Hi Cihan,

There is some work to be done on improving filtering - 2 tasks in the bug tracker: both https://tracker.mender.io/browse/MEN-1495 and https://tracker.mender.io/browse/MEN-1493. These are intended to enable filtering devices by inventory attributes, and allow you to set a default identity attribute (so you don't need to use ID all the time). Should see some progress on these very soon!

Michael

Jean-Baptiste MARIE

Feb 5, 2019, 4:29:49 AM2/5/19
to Mender List mender.io
Hello,

I am wondering if there are any progress on that topic, can you please give me an update? I would be interested for being able to create a group of devices based on one or several of their inventory parameters. I think that feature would be very useful. Is there a schedule for releasing that kind of feature in the coming releases?

Thanks

Michael

Feb 5, 2019, 4:42:24 AM2/5/19
to Mender List mender.io
At the moment, inventory filters are on Hosted Mender only - if you use Hosted Mender you are able to use inventory filters to see a list of devices, and from that list you could create static groups.

The current API implementation doesn't give us too much scope for good grouping and filtering, so we have plans to change things a bit to allow more functionality through the UI and API. We are looking at implementing dynamic grouping, where you would be able to define a group by inventory parameters just like you suggest. This would have consequences for how we handle deployments though, as in that model of grouping, a group will grow automatically if a new device with matching parameters is connected. There is no date estimated for it as yet, but e have been talking to users about how they would like these fixed vs dynamic groups and deployments to work, so any thoughts you have would be very helpful!

Jean-Baptiste MARIE

Feb 6, 2019, 10:01:11 AM2/6/19
to men...@lists.mender.io
Thanks for your reply.

Basically I would like to being able to create a deployment based on any set of conditions. These conditions would be any mix of Identity and Inventory parameters.

Some random example of scenarios:
  • Deployment for every devices with Serial Number from A to B
  • Deployment for every devices having at least 2 Ethernet interfaces and 4GB or RAM
  • Deployment to every devices belonging to a given customer/person and acquired before a given date
  • ...