Up board (VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)) for 32 Gb disk

David Bensoussan

Jan 23, 2019, 4:01:02 AM1/23/19
to Mender List mender.io
I have used in the past standard settings provided here https://github.com/mendersoftware/meta-mender-community/blob/sumo/meta-mender-up/templates/local.conf.append

Now I changed
MENDER_STORAGE_TOTAL_SIZE_MB_DEFAULT = "4000"

to MENDER_STORAGE_TOTAL_SIZE_MB = "30000"

sudo blockdev --getsize64 /dev/sda | xargs -i% expr % / 1048576

and the hard drive cannot boot. I just get: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)

I'm a bit lost regarding what I can do. I know this is not needed when booting from the usb but when I'll need to flash the eMMC, I don't see why it would work there.

What would be the reason for this?

Thanks

Drew Moseley

Jan 23, 2019, 10:25:10 AM1/23/19
to men...@lists.mender.io
Hi David,

It’s difficult to say.  Do you have a full boot log you can share?

Also, once you have deployed the image to the media, are you able to view the partition table and mount the partitions on your dev machine?

Drew

Jean-Baptiste MARIE

Jan 23, 2019, 12:30:14 PM1/23/19
to Mender List mender.io
Hi David,

I also faced that but it was not due to mender settings. Try to add "rootwait" to your kernel command line, it might solve your issue. Sorry if I am totally wrong, but it is worth to try it.

Your kernel command line will look like that:
BOOT_IMAGE=(hd2,gpt3)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/mmcblk0p3 rootwait quiet splash

Mirza Krak

Jan 23, 2019, 2:25:00 PM1/23/19
to Mender List mender.io
On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 6:30 PM Jean-Baptiste MARIE <jbaptis...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi David,

I also faced that but it was not due to mender settings. Try to add "rootwait" to your kernel command line, it might solve your issue. Sorry if I am totally wrong, but it is worth to try it.

Your kernel command line will look like that:
BOOT_IMAGE=(hd2,gpt3)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/mmcblk0p3 rootwait quiet splash

Just yesterday I also came to the same conclusion, due to lack of "rootwait". I believe that we should include that by default in our environment.

The relevant code templates is here [1], feel free to create PR. Otherwise I will get to it eventually :)

--
Mirza Krak | Embedded Solutions Architect | https://mender.io

 Northern.tech AS | @northerntechHQ

Mirza Krak

David Bensoussan

Jan 30, 2019, 4:30:20 AM1/30/19
to Mender List mender.io
I'll try rootwait this week, thanks for the PR. I also noticed one thing. It happens around 20% of the time with 3 usb drives but not at all with one other.

Mirza Krak

Jan 30, 2019, 4:39:17 AM1/30/19
to Mender List mender.io
On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 10:30 AM David Bensoussan <dbens...@synapticon.com> wrote:
I'll try rootwait this week, thanks for the PR. I also noticed one thing. It happens around 20% of the time with 3 usb drives but not at all with one other.

Yes this is typically the symptoms of not using "rootwait", you rely on luck :).