using Mender release 1.7 with Yocto Morty

Shawn Stevenson

Jan 21, 2019, 6:48:54 PM1/21/19
to Mender List mender.io
Hello,

I am doing the board integration with Mender for a custom designed board using the NXP imx.6ull. I would like to use version 1.7 of Mender, but I am using a very old version of Yocto (version Morty) due a third party layer required for the wireless driver. Is it possible to use this combination? I tried getting the morty branch of meta-mender, but right away I run into the problem that morty doesn't have support for golang. What steps do I need to take get the meta-mender layer working?

I do have previous experience with Mender, and was able to successfully integrate with another custom designed board using the imx6ull (using Mender 1.5 and Rocko).

Thanks,
Shawn

Kristian Amlie

Jan 22, 2019, 2:29:05 AM1/22/19
to men...@lists.mender.io, Shawn Stevenson
On 22/01/2019 00:48, Shawn Stevenson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am doing the board integration with Mender for a custom designed board
> using the NXP imx.6ull. I would like to use version 1.7 of Mender, but I
> am using a very old version of Yocto (version Morty) due a third party
> layer required for the wireless driver. Is it possible to use this
> combination? I tried getting the morty branch of meta-mender, but right
> away I run into the problem that morty doesn't have support for golang.
> What steps do I need to take get the meta-mender layer working?

You can try with this layer: https://github.com/mem/oe-meta-go.git

It should provide the Go support you need.

--
Kristian

signature.asc

Mirza Krak

Jan 22, 2019, 3:38:32 AM1/22/19
to Mender List mender.io, Shawn Stevenson
On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 12:48 AM Shawn Stevenson <shawn.e....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

Hello,

I am doing the board integration with Mender for a custom designed board using the NXP imx.6ull. I would like to use version 1.7 of Mender, but I am using a very old version of Yocto (version Morty) due a third party layer required for the wireless driver. Is it possible to use this combination? I tried getting the morty branch of meta-mender, but right away I run into the problem that morty doesn't have support for golang. What steps do I need to take get the meta-mender layer working?

We recently did an integration on a similar platform, you might find some insperation in the following links:

--
Mirza Krak | Embedded Solutions Architect | https://mender.io

 Northern.tech AS | @northerntechHQ

Shawn Stevenson

Jan 22, 2019, 11:55:48 AM1/22/19
to Mender List mender.io, shawn.e....@gmail.com
Thanks Kristian. I found the same information in the Mender 1.0 docs. :)

Shawn Stevenson

Jan 22, 2019, 6:39:52 PM1/22/19
to Mender List mender.io, shawn.e....@gmail.com, mirza...@northern.tech
Thanks Mirza, that was useful. I ended up making a couple of patches and now have u-boot and the u-boot fw utils building.

I've gotten very close to producing the final images, but I've run into some problems with the image name. I think it is a problem with the IMAGE_NAME_SUFFIX variable. The rootfs ext4 file that is produced in the build/tmp directory is foo- image-imx6ull_foo-20190122225150.ext4 but Yocto is expecting foo-image-imx6ull_foo-20190122225150.rootfs.ext4 (I have changed the name to hide my client's identity). Here is the error I see in do_image_sdcard:

Log data follows:
| DEBUG: Executing python function set_image_size
| DEBUG: Python function set_image_size finished
| DEBUG: Executing shell function do_image_sdcard
| 0+0 records in
| 0+0 records out
| 0 bytes copied, 5.3353e-05 s, 0.0 kB/s
| Model:  (file)
| Disk /home/sstevenson/work/client/gitrepo/086-client/build-client-dev/tmp/work/imx6ull_foo-poky-linux-gnueabi/foo-image/1.0-r0/deploy-foo-image-image-complete/foo-image-imx6ull_foo-20190122225150.rootfs.sdcard: 235MB
| Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
| Partition Table: msdos
| Disk Flags:
|
| Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
|  1      4194kB  12.6MB  8389kB  primary               lba
|  2      12.6MB  231MB   218MB   primary
|
| 1006+0 records in
| 1006+0 records out
| 515072 bytes (515 kB, 503 KiB) copied, 0.00315321 s, 163 MB/s
| mkfs.fat: warning - lowercase labels might not work properly with DOS or Windows
| mkfs.fat 4.0 (2016-05-06)
| Total number of sectors (16384) not a multiple of sectors per track (63)!
| Add mtools_skip_check=1 to your .mtoolsrc file to skip this test
| Total number of sectors (16384) not a multiple of sectors per track (63)!
| Add mtools_skip_check=1 to your .mtoolsrc file to skip this test
| 2+0 records in
| 2+0 records out
| 8388608 bytes (8.4 MB, 8.0 MiB) copied, 0.0102888 s, 815 MB/s
| dd: failed to open '/home/sstevenson/work/client/gitrepo/086-client/build-client-dev/tmp/work/imx6ull_foo-poky-linux-gnueabi/foo-image/1.0-r0/deploy-foo-image-image-complete/foo-image-imx6ull_foo-20190122225150.rootfs.ext4': No such file or directory
| WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.
| ERROR: Function failed: do_image_sdcard (log file is located at /home/sstevenson/work/client/gitrepo/086-client/build-client-dev/tmp/work/imx6ull_foo-poky-linux-gnueabi/foo-image/1.0-r0/temp/log.do_image_sdcard.7317)

I tried commenting out the line 'IMAGE_NAME_SUFFIX = ""' in mender-part-images.bbclass, but that just moves the problem elsewhere as far as I can tell. Do you have any advice on how to find/fix the problem?

Thanks,
Shawn

Shawn Stevenson

Jan 22, 2019, 7:30:09 PM1/22/19
to Mender List mender.io, shawn.e....@gmail.com, mirza...@northern.tech
I have gotten my build to finish by including the following line in my local.conf file:

IMAGE_FSTYPES_remove = "sdcard"

I think that is okay, since I don't want the .sdcard images anyhow.

Cheers,
Shawn

Mirza Krak

Jan 23, 2019, 2:19:50 AM1/23/19
to Shawn Stevenson, Mender List mender.io
On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 1:30 AM Shawn Stevenson <shawn.e....@gmail.com> wrote:
I have gotten my build to finish by including the following line in my local.conf file:

IMAGE_FSTYPES_remove = "sdcard"

I think that is okay, since I don't want the .sdcard images anyhow.

Glad it worked out, and yeah you probably will not need the "sdcard" if you are using the "sdimg" created by meta-mender.

Drew Moseley

Jan 23, 2019, 10:23:22 AM1/23/19

On Jan 23, 2019, at 2:19 AM, Mirza Krak <mirza...@northern.tech> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 1:30 AM Shawn Stevenson <shawn.e....@gmail.com> wrote:
I have gotten my build to finish by including the following line in my local.conf file:

IMAGE_FSTYPES_remove = "sdcard"

I think that is okay, since I don't want the .sdcard images anyhow.

Glad it worked out, and yeah you probably will not need the "sdcard" if you are using the "sdimg" created by meta-mender.

To clarify, the SDCARD image type is added by the FSLC BSP and indeed should be removed; it won’t work with the Mender partitioning so there’s no point in generating it.

Drew