Raspberry changing mac

Matthijs ter Woord

Oct 1, 2017, 9:03:44 AM10/1/17
to mender
I'm using Mender to update images to raspberry pi 3 devices. This works great.
Only problem I'm facing, is that each boot, the network interface uses a different mac address, which means it will get a different IP, etc.

Is this a known thing?

Mirza Krak

Oct 2, 2017, 3:14:42 AM10/2/17
to mender
Yeah, this has been a known problem and should have been fixed in [1].
This fix should exist on master and pyro. Which branch are you
running?

[1]. https://github.com/mendersoftware/meta-mender/commit/264cf2ee4c12e072a1343e0102dfc70a35ee93c5#diff-c91144d73d22cd6fa32d45e56576dc04

Best Regards
Mirza

Matthijs ter Woord

Oct 2, 2017, 6:17:32 AM10/2/17
to mender
Thanks for letting me know!

I'm runnig master, but because of a limitation in the raspberry stuff (dtb files not being updated) that might not have been on my device. I'm in the process of re-flashing.

Is there any progress on fixing that limitation?

Mirza

Mirza Krak

Oct 2, 2017, 6:30:17 AM10/2/17
to mender
> Thanks for letting me know!

No problem.

> I'm runnig master, but because of a limitation in the raspberry stuff (dtb
> files not being updated) that might not have been on my device. I'm in the
> process of re-flashing.
>
> The limitation I'm talking about is the note at:
> https://github.com/mendersoftware/meta-mender/blob/master/meta-mender-raspberrypi/README.md
>
> Is there any progress on fixing that limitation?

I do not think that anyone is working on it.

One could probably accomplish update of dtb using Mender state scripts
by simply copying dtb from rootfs to bootpart in one of the "states"
(ArtifactReboot_Enter?) [1], and revert in case a rollback occurs
(ArtifactRollback_Enter?). I believe that this is the only viable
solution due to the nature of the RPi boot process.

Patches welcome :).

[1]. https://docs.mender.io/1.2/artifacts/state-scripts

Best Regards
Mirza