Patches add Mender support to Buildroot

Auke Oosterhoff

Jan 29, 2018, 7:28:27 AM1/29/18
to Mender List mender.io
A series of Buildroot patches have been submitted by Angelo Compagnucci. These patches add support for Mender in Buildroot among other things

Here you find the first patch of the series:  https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/854078/

Please help with testing and reviewing these patches. Use the 'series' button in the right corner to download
all patches of the series. The patch can be applied to Buildroot by running: '$ cat </path/to/patch> | git am'.

For more info about applying patches in Buildroot I  suggest to read the documentation of Buildroot at https://buildroot.org/downloads/manual/manual.html#apply-patches-patchwork

Mirza Krak

Jan 29, 2018, 8:08:28 AM1/29/18
to mender
Nice one!

Some quick re-marks (is this the correct place to do it?). Note that my Buildroot experience is minimal.

These files:

 create mode 100644 package/mender/mender-device-identity
 create mode 100644 package/mender/mender-inventory-hostinfo
 create mode 100644 package/mender/mender-inventory-network

are part of the Mender client repository (mender/support/) and there is no need to add a second copy of them in the Buildroot repository.

package/mender/mender.conf contains some "place-holder" values, how are these replaced in Buildroot? There is no indication that they are replaced in the mender.mk file.

Mender does not have a hard-requirement on systemd (BR2_INIT_SYSTEMD),  there is only a conveniently provided systemd service by default.

Med Vänliga Hälsningar / Best Regards

Mirza Krak

Auke Oosterhoff

Jan 29, 2018, 8:23:27 AM1/29/18
to men...@lists.mender.io
Buildroot's mailing list the the appropriate place to for your comments regarding the patch.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/lists.mender.io/group/mender/.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Auke Willem Oosterhoff
023 576 88 55
06 8360 935 50

Climotion bv | +31 (0)23 576 88 55 | Wilhelminastraat 51 | 2011VL | Postbus 5241 | 2000 CE | Haarlem | www.climotion.com

Dan Walkes

Jun 4, 2018, 5:48:46 PM6/4/18
to Mender List mender.io
For anyone else who is looking for this, the latest information I can find on the state of the buildroot patches today is documented in http://lists.buildroot.org/pipermail/buildroot/2018-June/223012.html.

Mirza Krak

Jun 8, 2018, 2:37:37 AM6/8/18
to mender
Thanks for sharing. It seems that these patches are now merged.

I also noticed that you are doing some work to improve the state of
Mender in Buildroot.

Take a look at this: https://tracker.mender.io/browse/MEN-1330

It is an analysis and breakdown of what is additionally needed to get
a more "complete" Mender support in Buildroot.

Auke Oosterhoff

Jun 8, 2018, 3:40:05 AM6/8/18
to men...@lists.mender.io
Great news!