[lxc-users] Missing lxd-agent on centos/8/cloud

Sebert, Holger.ext

Oct 12, 2020, 11:27:23 AM10/12/20
to lxc-...@lists.linuxcontainers.org
Hi,

I created a virtual machine from the image `centos/8/cloud` using the following command:

$ lxc launch images:centos/8/cloud centos --vm --profile default --profile vm

My `vm`-profile looks like this:

config:
user.user-data: |
#cloud-config
ssh_pwauth: yes

users:
- name: root
plain_text_passwd: "root"
lock_passwd: false
devices:
config:
source: cloud-init:config
type: disk
name: vm
used_by:
- /1.0/instances/centos

Installation runs fine, but when I try to execute LXD commands, I get an error message:

$ lxc exec centos -- /bin/bash
Error: Failed to connect to lxd-agent

It seems like the `lxd-agent` package is missing.

I logged in via `lxc console centos` and searched for a `yum`-package, but did not find
any:

[root@centos ~]# yum search lxd-agent
Last metadata expiration check: 0:07:46 ago on Mon 12 Oct 2020 03:16:47 PM UTC.
No matches found.

How do I install the `lxd-agent` and make `lxc` commands from outside the VM work?

Best,
Holger

Stéphane Graber

Oct 16, 2020, 12:06:27 PM10/16/20
to LXC users mailing-list
It's not really missing so much as can't start because of a kernel issue.

CentOS 8 randomly dropped the required 9p kernel module in an earlier
kernel release, breaking the agent.
We've filed a bug but got no interest in a fast resolution from CentOS
upstream unfortunately...

Stéphane

Stéphane