[lxc-users] Maybe dir storage can be a good choice for me?

Carl Lei

Sep 4, 2020, 6:45:19 PM9/4/20
to lxc-...@lists.linuxcontainers.org
Hello,

I’m planning to provide interactive development environment for our data analysts.  Containers will be created from bare base images with very few modifications, will run for a very long time (practically, forever), and will never be snapshotted; somehow a container is like a python venv.  I’m feeling that dir storage may be good enough for this case, but docs says it is “a last resort”; so does it have other shortcomings than bad performance on features I will never use?

Serge E. Hallyn

Sep 4, 2020, 8:36:17 PM9/4/20
to LXC users mailing-list
On Fri, Sep 04, 2020 at 10:45:19PM +0000, Carl Lei wrote:
> Hello,
> I’m planning to provide interactive development environment for our data analysts.  Containers will be created from bare base images with very few modifications, will run for a very long time (practically, forever), and will never be snapshotted; somehow a container is like a python venv.  I’m feeling that dir storage may be good enough for this case, but docs says it is “a last resort”; so does it have other shortcomings than bad performance on features I will never use?

last resort? I use dir for most of my containers.

jjs - mainphrame

Sep 4, 2020, 11:59:30 PM9/4/20
to LXC users mailing-list
I've also used dir storage for all lxc containers

Narcis Garcia

Sep 5, 2020, 2:58:48 AM9/5/20
to lxc-...@lists.linuxcontainers.org
I use 'dir' backend for most of VPS I create, because of simple free
space sharing at host.
Biggest disadvantage I see in current LXC versions is that I can't limit
disk space quota per container.

Note: I use unprivileged LXC containers without LXD in the host's Ext4
filesystem.
To separate privileges, I assign different subUID:subGID ranges per each
container, but I don't know how to use this to apply disk space quotas.

Narcis Garcia

__________
I'm using this dedicated address because personal addresses aren't
masked enough at this mail public archive. Public archive administrator
should fix this against automated addresses collectors.
El 5/9/20 a les 0:45, Carl Lei ha escrit:

Carl Lei

Sep 5, 2020, 7:34:33 AM9/5/20
to Narcis Garcia, lxc-users
Thank you, indeed I forgot about quota.  I use xfs in most cases, a project quota may be enough; but seems I would have to manage that manually somehow.

I don't know if answer from here is easy to manage:

https://github.com/lxc/lxcfs/issues/277

... and what is the path to implement for each container.

Narcis Garcia

I'm using this dedicated address because personal addresses aren't
masked enough at this mail public archive. Public archive administrator
should fix this against automated addresses collectors.

El 5/9/20 a les 13:34, Carl Lei ha escrit: