[lxc-users] live migration complaining about missing CRIU

Aleksandar Ivanisevic

Sep 4, 2020, 12:24:12 PM9/4/20
to LXC users mailing-list
Hi,

[root@alexlm ~]# lxc move test2 alexsv:
Error: Unable to perform container live migration. CRIU isn't installed on the destination server
[root@alexlm ~]# lxc move --mode push test2 alexsv:
Error: Unable to perform container live migration. CRIU isn't installed on the destination server
[root@alexlm ~]# ssh alex@alexsv criu --version
Version: 3.14
[root@alexlm ~]# criu --version
Version: 3.12

what am I missing? Adding —verbose and —debug just dumps the lxd API requests

thanks,

Serge E. Hallyn

Sep 5, 2020, 8:52:55 AM9/5/20
to LXC users mailing-list

alexlm has crio, but does alexsv have it?

Aleksandar Ivanisevic

Sep 5, 2020, 8:55:42 AM9/5/20
to LXC users mailing-list
they both have it, the first version command was a ssh to alexsv

[root@alexlm ~]# ssh alex@alexsv criu --version
Version: 3.14
[root@alexlm ~]# criu --version
Version: 3.12

On 5. Sep 2020, at 14:54, Aleksandar Ivanisevic <aleksandar...@2e-systems.com> wrote:

they both have it, the first command was a ssh to alexsv

[root@alexlm ~]# ssh alex@alexsv criu --version
Version: 3.14
[root@alexlm ~]# criu --version
Version: 3.12

Aleksandar Ivanisevic
Head of Operations and Support
2e Systems

Tel: +49 - 6196 - 950 58 14
Fax: +49 - 6196 - 950 58 94
E-mail: Aleksandar...@2e-systems.com

Address: 2e Systems GmbH,  Koenigsteiner Str. 107, 65812 Bad Soden am Taunus
Company registration: Amtsgericht Koenigstein (Germany), HRB 7303
Director: Philip Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com - making your business fly!

Serge E. Hallyn

Sep 5, 2020, 9:00:48 AM9/5/20
to LXC users mailing-list
On Sat, Sep 05, 2020 at 02:55:42PM +0200, Aleksandar Ivanisevic wrote:
> they both have it, the first version command was a ssh to alexsv
>
> [root@alexlm ~]# ssh alex@alexsv criu --version
> Version: 3.14
> [root@alexlm ~]# criu --version
> Version: 3.12

What is the path to criu on the dest server? lxd just uses
exec.LookPath("criu"), so maybe criu isn't in lxd's patch?

> > On 5. Sep 2020, at 14:54, Aleksandar Ivanisevic <aleksandar...@2e-systems.com> wrote:
> >
> > they both have it, the first command was a ssh to alexsv
> >
> > [root@alexlm ~]# ssh alex@alexsv criu --version
> > Version: 3.14
> > [root@alexlm ~]# criu --version
> > Version: 3.12

> >> alexlm has crio, but does alexsv have it?
> >
> > --
> > Aleksandar Ivanisevic
> > Head of Operations and Support
> > 2e Systems
> >
> > Tel: +49 - 6196 - 950 58 14
> > Fax: +49 - 6196 - 950 58 94

> > E-mail: Aleksandar...@2e-systems.com <mailto:Aleksandar...@2e-systems.com>

> > Address: 2e Systems GmbH, Koenigsteiner Str. 107, 65812 Bad Soden am Taunus
> > Company registration: Amtsgericht Koenigstein (Germany), HRB 7303
> > Director: Philip Douglas
> >
> > http://www.2e-systems.com - making your business fly!

Aleksandar Ivanisevic

Sep 5, 2020, 9:12:53 AM9/5/20
to LXC users mailing-list
it is in /usr/sbin and it is in the lxd’s path. I have tried symlinking to /usr/bin but still the same

[root@alexlm ~]# pgrep lxd
1484
[root@alexlm ~]# xargs -0 < /proc/1484/cmdline
lxd --logfile /var/snap/lxd/common/lxd/logs/lxd.log --group lxd
[root@alexlm ~]# xargs -0n1 < /proc/1484/environ | grep ^PATH
PATH=/snap/lxd/current/zfs-0.8/bin:/run/bin:/snap/lxd/16926/usr/sbin:/snap/lxd/16926/usr/bin:/snap/lxd/16926/sbin:/snap/lxd/16926/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/lxd/current/bin
[root@alexlm ~]# which criu
/usr/sbin/criu

Aleksandar Ivanisevic

Oct 3, 2020, 6:21:56 AM10/3/20
to LXC users mailing-list
For posterity, after giving up on this, I found a solution by accident: criu must be enabled in lxd for this to work

snap set lxd criu.enable=true

now live migrate does not complain about missing criu, but fails with various other errors, but that’s another problem ;)