Introducing Incus

Stéphane Graber

Aug 7, 2023, 9:48:21 AM8/7/23
to LXC users mailing-list, LXC development mailing-list
(Original post: https://linuxcontainers.org/incus/)

The Linux Containers project is excited to announce its latest addition, Incus!

Incus isn’t a completely new project however, it’s a fork of LXD
created by Aleksa Sarai.
Aleksa Sarai is most known for his work on runc, umoci and other
OpenContainers projects as well as contributions to the Linux kernel.

But in addition to all that, he’s also been the long time packager of
LXD in OpenSUSE.
Aleksa created the fork shortly after Canonical’s decision to take LXD
away from Linux Containers with the name Incus being introduced
immediately following the LXD 5.16 release. This fork was first
intended as a personal project, but has since gathered quite a bit of
interest both from the community as well as from former LXD
contributors.

After some discussion with Aleksa and a fair bit of encouragement from
our community, we have made the decision to take Incus under the
umbrella of Linux Containers and will commit to it the infrastructure
which was previously made available to LXD.

The goal of Incus is to provide a fully community led alternative to
Canonical’s LXD as well as providing an opportunity to correct some
mistakes that were made during LXD’s development which couldn’t be
corrected without breaking backward compatibility.

In addition to Aleksa, the initial set of maintainers for Incus will
include Christian Brauner, Serge Hallyn, Stéphane Graber and Tycho
Andersen, effectively including the entire team that once created LXD.

There is no clearly defined roadmap at this point. Incus will be
tracking changes happening in LXD and will likely in time diverge from
it as different decisions get made.
A stable release of Incus is likely at least a couple of months away
so existing LXD users shouldn’t rush to find a way to migrate quite
yet!

You can find more details or ask us your questions here:

Github: https://github.com/lxc/incus
Forum: https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org

Sincerely,

Aleksa Sarai and the Linux Containers team:

Christian Brauner
Serge Hallyn
Stéphane Graber

Narcis Garcia

Aug 7, 2023, 11:33:21 AM8/7/23
to lxc-...@lists.linuxcontainers.org
Admirable community.

El 7/8/23 a les 15:48, 'Stéphane Graber' via lxc-users ha escrit:
--

Narcis Garcia

__________
I'm using this dedicated address because personal addresses aren't
masked enough at this mail public archive. Public archive administrator
should fix this against automated addresses collectors.

Neil Jubinville

Aug 7, 2023, 11:24:34 PM8/7/23
to Stéphane Graber, LXC users mailing-list, LXC development mailing-list
Great news!  Just in time to upgrade some clusters ;)   Shout out to  Stéphane Graber for his early how-tos,  those docs really helped get the LXD ball rolling!   Please keep that trend up, clear and concise technical docs.

Neil

Neil Jubinville
CEO, CTO
Orbital ®
"Cloud Business Platforms"

Hans Lambermont

Aug 8, 2023, 5:03:24 AM8/8/23
'Stéphane Graber' via lxc-users wrote on 20230807:
> (Original post: https://linuxcontainers.org/incus/)
>
> The Linux Containers project is excited to announce its latest addition, Incus!
>
> Incus isn’t a completely new project however, it’s a fork of LXD
> created by Aleksa Sarai.

Very interesting development !

I see that as a long-term lxd user I'll have to make a choice soon :D

> In addition to Aleksa, the initial set of maintainers for Incus will
> include Christian Brauner, Serge Hallyn, Stéphane Graber and Tycho
> Andersen, effectively including the entire team that once created LXD.

That is just amazing. Go team !

-- Hans Lambermont

Nicolas FOURNIL

Aug 18, 2023, 10:24:28 AM8/18/23
to Stéphane Graber, LXC users mailing-list, LXC development mailing-list
Great news !

Hope we will get this released soon on debian12 Bookworm WITHOUT snapcrap.

Regards.

Ben Green

Aug 19, 2023, 9:01:01 AM8/19/23
to lxc-...@lists.linuxcontainers.org