Suggestion on running 8 node cluster

Jonathan Opperman

Jun 3, 2021, 7:08:04 AM6/3/21
to lxc-...@lists.linuxcontainers.org
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to find out what the best approach is to run an lxd
cluster across multiple nodes in
different locations.

Location A
vm1 192.168.1.1
vm2 192.168.1.2
vm3 192.168.1.3
vm4 192.168.1.4

Stretched layer 2 across to another location:

Location B
vm5 192.168.1.5
vm6 192.168.1.6
vm7 192.168.1.7
vm8 192.168.1.8

Now, I've joined them all to the same cluster, if I shut down vms
gracefully in each
location(Shut down vm1,vm2,vm3,vm4) the lxd cluster is happy when I
power off all the
vms in Location A at the same time(vm1,vm2,v3,vm4) the cluster becomes
unusable, lxc list
hangs and I can not recover it. When I start vm1,vm2,vm3,vm4 again the
cluster happily returns
and everything is honkey dorey.

I did the following:
lxc config set cluster.max_voters 7
lxc config set cluster.max_standby 5

Played with different variations but no luck, the cluster becomes really
unhappy when I perform
the above. The idea is that Location A will have all of our containers
running, and Location B
will be our DC, so when A has a big issue/outage we can fire up
containers in Location B.

Will the only option be to do "lxd cluster recover-from-quorum-loss" in
the 4 vms in Location B?
We just do not want an unusable cluster in Location B if Location A
becomes unavailable.

Any advice/suggestions really would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards,
Jonathan

Jonathan Opperman

Jun 3, 2021, 7:19:30 AM6/3/21
to Jonathan Opperman, lxc-...@lists.linuxcontainers.org
Correction, Location will be our DR (Typed DC :))

Brian Candler

Jun 30, 2021, 4:42:23 PM6/30/21
to lxc-users, jona...@opperman.za.net, lxc-...@lists.linuxcontainers.org
I'd suggest you consider making Location A and Location B be separate lxd clusters.  Then when Location A burns down, you can run Location B without any issue.  You should be able to "lxc copy" between clusters as a way of keeping them in sync.