Announcing Incus 6.0 LTS!

Stéphane Graber

Apr 4, 2024, 11:17:33 AMApr 4
to LXC development mailing-list, LXC users mailing-list
Hello,

It’s with great pride and pleasure that the Incus team is announcing the
release of Incus 6.0 LTS!

Incus is a modern system container and virtual machine manager developed
and maintained by the same team that first created LXD. It’s released
under the Apache 2.0 license and is run as a community led Open Source
project as part of the Linux Containers organization.

Incus provides a cloud-like environment, creating instances from premade
images and offers a wide variety of features, including the ability to
seamlessly cluster up to 50 servers together.

It supports multiple different local or remote storage options,
traditional or fully distributed networking and offers most common cloud
features, including a full REST API and integrations with common tooling
like Ansible, Terraform/OpenTofu and more!

The LTS release of Incus will be supported until June 2029 with the
first two years featuring bug and security fixes as well as minor
usability improvements before transitioning to security fixes only for
the remaining 3 years.

The highlights for existing Incus users are:
- Swap limits for containers
- New shell completion mechanism
- Creation of external bridge interfaces
- Live-migration of VMs with disks attached
- System information in `incus info --resources`
- USB information in `incus info --resources`

For those coming from LXD 5.0 LTS, a full list of changes is included in
the announcement as well as some instructions on how to migrate over.

You can give Incus a try online:
https://linuxcontainers.org/incus/try-it

Before getting it on your own system:
https://linuxcontainers.org/incus/docs/main/tutorial/first_steps

A detailed release announcement can be found here:
https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org/t/incus-6-0-lts-has-been-released/19576

As well as a video overview of all the new features:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOPARj7GWNA

The code can be found on Github:
https://github.com/lxc/incus

And support is done through our community forum:
https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org

Enjoy!

Stéphane Graber, on behalf of the Incus team.

Narcis Garcia

Apr 4, 2024, 3:01:01 PMApr 4
to LXC users SPM
Congratulations for these strong steps on the project!

"incus" package at Debian/bookworm-backports appears to be marked as
version 0.6 , not 6.0

Same version it seems at Debian/trixie (testing)
And Debian/sid (unstable) repository appears to have 0.7 version

Regards;
Narcís Garcia

El 4/4/24 a les 17:17, 'Stéphane Graber' via lxc-users ha escrit:
--

Narcis Garcia

__________
I'm using this dedicated address because personal addresses aren't
masked enough at this mail public archive. Public archive administrator
should remove and omit any @, dot and mailto combinations against
automated addresses collectors.

Stéphane Graber

Apr 4, 2024, 3:07:35 PMApr 4
to Narcis Garcia, LXC users SPM
Hey there,

Yeah, as always with distribution packaging, it takes a while for each
individual package to pick up the new release, update their packages,
get them through review and testing before they make it to users.
So that's why you're still seeing some (most) Linux distributions
having Incus 0.6 or 0.7.

If you're impatient, my own packages for Debian and Ubuntu do have
Incus 6.0 but they're also a fair bit different from traditional
distribution packages so may not be to everyone's liking :)
https://github.com/zabbly/incus

Stéphane
> --

Stéphane

Narcis Garcia

Apr 4, 2024, 3:27:13 PMApr 4
to LXC users SPM
No thank you.
I'm not impatient.
I was asking for an explanation to be sure that was not a numbers typo.

El 4/4/24 a les 21:07, 'Stéphane Graber' via lxc-users ha escrit:
Narcis Garcia