Notice of licensing change for LXD (now AGPLv3, kinda)

Stéphane Graber

Dec 12, 2023, 5:12:49 PM12/12/23
to LXC users mailing-list, LXC development mailing-list
Hello,

I thought this was an important enough news to share to our users and
devel lists as it may impact some of you.

Canonical has decided to change the license of LXD to the AGPLv3 (but
only kinda as they don't own all the copyright).

This means that anyone consuming Go packages from the LXD repository
needs to be very careful when they next update as that will now pull
AGPLv3 code.
As the AGPL is a copyleft license, it may very well impact the
licensing of your own Go packages or software. You probably will want
to have a chat with a lawyer about that, or just switch over to Incus
where we are still on the Apache2 license.

Details: https://stgraber.org/2023/12/12/lxd-now-re-licensed-and-under-a-cla/

Stéphane