Codec not found for requested operation: [BLOB <-> java.nio.HeapByteBuffer]

Rainer Stuetz

Apr 15, 2021, 7:31:43 AM4/15/21
to DataStax Spark Connector for Apache Cassandra
Hi all,

I upgraded Spark from version 2.4.5 to 3.0.1 and the DataStax Spark Connector from version 2.4.2 to 3.0.1.

The CQL schema has the following type

CREATE TYPE id_time (
    number int,
    hash blob,
    timestamp int
);

with the following corresponding case class in Scala

case class IdTime(number: Int, hash: Array[Byte], timestamp: Int)

Everything worked fine before, but since the upgrade I get the following exception when I try to write a Spark Dataset to Cassandra that contains a column of this type:

21/04/15 13:14:57 ERROR executor.Executor: Exception in task 3.0 in stage 227.0 (TID 11633)
com.datastax.oss.driver.api.core.type.codec.CodecNotFoundException: Codec not found for requested operation: [BLOB <-> java.nio.HeapByteBuffer]

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rainer