Plans for a 3.30.0 release

Bret McGuire

Feb 21, 2024, 3:13:58 PMFeb 21
to DataStax Python Driver for Apache Cassandra User Mailing List
   Greetings all!

   We've started putting together an outline for the next release which we'll tentatively call 3.30.0.  At the moment there are three main tickets slated for this release:

  • Make sure asyncio reactor is stable and make it the default reactor going forward (PYTHON-1375)
  • Finalize the move from nose to pytest as the default testing tool (PYTHON-1297)
  • Extend vector support to variable length types (PYTHON-1369)

   A lot of work has already been done (by multiple parties) around moving to pytest so hopefully that conversion should largely be reconciling those efforts into a single implementation.  Scylla has also very generously submitted their fixes to the asyncio reactor; my hope is that that work forms the foundation of whatever is necessary for PYTHON-1375.

   For the record: I'm definitely not saying these are the only changes that will go into 3.30.0.  I'm merely saying these are the big-ticket items we're aiming at for that release.  My hope is that we'll have plenty of other fixes as well; I know there were several other patches submitted by the community that I'd like to include.  Please keep 'em coming!

   As always with these conversations everything above is subject to change but this does reflect our thinking at the moment.  If you have any comments please send 'em along!

   Thanks!

   - Bret -