[Release] DataStax Python Driver 3.29.1 for Apache Cassandra

Bret McGuire

Mar 20, 2024, 1:10:20 AMMar 20
to DataStax Python Driver for Apache Cassandra User Mailing List
Greetings!  Today we've released Python Driver 3.29.1 for Apache Cassandra!

This release addresses an issue some users noted with the wheels which came with the prior version.  These wheels did not include the necessary native code to interoperate with libev, thus preventing users from leveraging the libev reactor.  This behaviour would be a problem in any situation but it's particularly acute for Python 3.12 users; since asyncore has been removed in Python 3.12 applications must leverage an alternate event loop and until the asyncio reactor can become the default (currently slated for 3.30.0) the libev reactor is a popular alternative.  Additional details can be found in PYTHON-1378.

In addition to this change we have also implemented another change to our wheel build process with this release.  When we moved to cibuildwheel for wheel generation we added universal2 wheels in addition to the x86_64 and arm64 wheels we were already generating for MacOS.  In hindsight this decision looks more and more like a mistake; there's no real reason to create universal2 wheels if you already have wheels for the two native platforms they cover (which we do) and we have to introduce cross-compilation in order to build these wheels at all.  When we took a fresh look at this it was pretty clear that removing the universal2 wheels was the right call.  Additional details can be found in PYTHON-1379.

Wheels have been uploaded for Linux, Mac and Windows for Python versions 3.8 through 3.12.

Many thanks to all who educated fellow community members, made feature requests, contributed code, wrote documentation, and reported bugs. We encourage you to get involved too:

Discuss the driver and ask questions:
Review and contribute source code and documentation:
  - Driver for Apache Cassandra: https://github.com/datastax/python-driver
  - Report issues on JIRA: https://datastax-oss.atlassian.net/browse/PYTHON

Thanks!

- Bret -

Federico Fissore

Mar 25, 2024, 3:25:36 AMMar 25
to python-dr...@lists.datastax.com
We are finally in production running python 3.12, thank you very much!

federico

On Wed, 20 Mar 2024 at 06:10, 'Bret McGuire' via DataStax Python