Node list refreshes in 4.x vs 3.x

Ammar Khaku

Mar 24, 2022, 6:02:48 PM3/24/22
to DataStax Java Driver for Apache Cassandra User Mailing List
In Datastax4, the entire Cassandra node list is refreshed via MetadataManager#refreshNodeList. This happens in two cases: 1. when a session is initialized, and 2. when we reconnect to a node that was temporarily unavailable.

Note that a refresh does not happen if a node goes down because (for example) it was terminated ungracefully. In that case the driver holds on to the old node and tries to reconnect periodically, leading to warn-level log messages that look like this:

2022-03-24 16:07:23.846  WARN 11077 --- [Thread-1] c.d.o.d.i.c.p.ChannelPool                : [sessionname|/1.2.3.4:1234]  Error while opening new channel (ConnectionInitException: [sessionname|connecting...] Protocol initialization request, step 1 (STARTUP {CQL_VERSION=3.0.0, DRIVER_NAME=DataStax Java driver for Apache Cassandra(R), DRIVER_VERSION=4.13.0, CLIENT_ID=16f1615a-ef11-4111-a111-c9b01112f453}): failed to send request (java.nio.channels.NotYetConnectedException))

Datastasx3 was more aggressive where it came to refreshing node lists, for instance it would refresh the list when connecting to a new node [1] [2]. This means that when a node came up (with a different IP) to replace any node that was terminated ungracefully, the entire node list would be refreshed and the bad node would be removed.

My question here is: is it worth revisiting the behavior w.r.t node list refresh frequency in Datastax4? If not I can implement a workaround on our end e.g. by implementing a NodeStateListener (should be straightforward, but any advice there would be appreciated too!)

Erick Ramirez

Apr 5, 2022, 8:01:04 AM4/5/22
to DataStax Java Driver for Apache Cassandra User Mailing List, ammar...@gmail.com
This looks very similar to JAVA-3002 where the driver is not aggressive enough at evicting nodes from its nodes list.

Would you please log a ticket so it's on the board for us to look into? Cheers!

Ammar Khaku

Apr 8, 2022, 3:50:08 PM4/8/22
to java-dri...@lists.datastax.com
Thanks, this does look like it causes JAVA-3002! Logged JAVA-3005. Happy to contribute a PR if yall decide this is worth changing.

-Ammar

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 5:01 AM Erick Ramirez <erick....@datastax.com> wrote:
This looks very similar to JAVA-3002 where the driver is not aggressive enough at evicting nodes from its nodes list.

Would you please log a ticket so it's on the board for us to look into? Cheers!

Ammar Khaku

Jun 1, 2022, 4:39:12 PM6/1/22
to java-dri...@lists.datastax.com
Just checking in on https://datastax-oss.atlassian.net/browse/JAVA-3005, I'd love to get some thoughts on it so we can move forwards! Or if you think it's not worth tackling within Datastax itself that's fine too, just let me know.

-Ammar

Bret McGuire

Jun 1, 2022, 6:31:48 PM6/1/22
to DataStax Java Driver for Apache Cassandra User Mailing List, ammar...@gmail.com
   I was just looking at this very ticket today in fact.  I hope to have some follow-up information on this ticket soon.

 - Bret -