Regarding 3.11.x Support

Ajay Kumar

Oct 10, 2022, 5:58:41 AM10/10/22
to DataStax Java Driver for Apache Cassandra User Mailing List
Hi Team,
We are using DataStax Java driver version 3.01, and we wanted to upgrade driver version to 3.11.x.
 We have following questions on 3.11.x
1. What is the end of support for 3.11.x?
2. Will this branch/version get the bug fixes and new features?
Regards,
Ajay

Cédrick Lunven

Oct 13, 2022, 4:51:06 AM10/13/22
to java-dri...@lists.datastax.com
Hi Ajay,

As far as I know, both 3.11 and 4.15 drivers are in maintenance mode.

They will both be updated for critical CVE and bug fixes.
It is not scheduled yet to add any new features in the short term.

Bret McGuire

Oct 13, 2022, 11:03:04 AM10/13/22
to DataStax Java Driver for Apache Cassandra User Mailing List
   Neither the 4.x nor the 3.x driver are in maintenance mode at the moment.  As of this writing the Ruby and PHP drivers are the only DataStax drivers that are in maintenance mode.  It is very much true that any new Java driver features will be developed on the 4.x branch and in general will not be migrated to 3.x.  3.x will continue to receive CVE and other critical bug fixes but as mentioned there are no plans for this branch to receive any new features.  It's not completely impossible that a specific feature or two might make it's way to 3.x on a case-by-case basis but if you're planning for the future with 3.x you should do so with the expectation that it will receive no new features.

  - Bret -

Martin Kamp Jensen

Dec 5, 2022, 2:10:29 AM12/5/22
to DataStax Java Driver for Apache Cassandra User Mailing List, bret.m...@datastax.com
Hi Bret,

So what does it mean for the 3.x Java driver when https://cassandra.apache.org/_/download.html specifies that Cassandra 3.11 will be maintained until May-July 2023? Will the 3.x driver then also no longer be maintained after that or will it keep getting critical fixes (e.g. security, but not features) for some time? How long?

Thanks,
Martin

Cédrick Lunven

Dec 5, 2022, 4:11:13 AM12/5/22
to java-dri...@lists.datastax.com, bret.m...@datastax.com
I need to apologize for my false information in that thread before.

Please note that it is a tricky topic as the drivers are actually in the progress of being donated to the Cassandra project (CEP-22)

I imagine that future maintenance will also be the decision of the Cassandra team.
Driver versions are not a 1-1 with Cassandra version compatibility, please check the existing compatibility matrix.

Sorry again for the misleading information before.

Cedrick