Java-driver has been donated to Apache Software Foundation!

Henry Hughes

Nov 7, 2023, 12:11:35 PM11/7/23
to DataStax Java Driver for Apache Cassandra User Mailing List

Hi java-driver users,

I’m pleased to announce that the java-driver project has been donated to Apache Software Foundation and is now a subproject of Apache Cassandra (CEP-8).

First off I’d like to thank all those involved in the donation process - Mick Semb Wever, Greg Stachnick, Benjamin Lerer, Jeremy Hanna, Emilia WIlkinson, Alexandre Dutra, Bret McGuire, Wei Deng, Gavin McDonald and many others who assisted with this transition. It’s been over a year since the CEP was originally submitted and it’s really exciting for the community that we’re finally here. This move will enable tighter collaboration between java-driver and the main Apache Cassandra project and allows the java-driver community to have complete control over the future direction of the project.

The source for java-driver is now located under the Apache organization on GitHub - apache/cassandra-java-driver. Existing links to the previous java-driver location should be automatically redirected but if there are any broken resources we have missed please let us know.

New issues will be tracked under the CASSANDRA project on Apache’s JIRA under the component ‘Client/java-driver’. The existing JIRA for java-driver will no longer be accepting new issues but will remain available for historical purposes. Issues currently open will be reviewed and either closed out, or re-created in the new JIRA project. If you would like a closed out issue to be re-considered, please re-create it on the Apache JIRA site.

Previous DataStax java-driver releases will continue to be available from Maven Central (3.x / 4.x) or directly from a history-preserving fork of the java-driver on GitHub. Historical documentation for these releases will continue to be hosted at docs.datastax.com. Details on accessing future releases and their documentation will be called out in corresponding release announcements to the new mailing list.

We’re still in the process of setting up CI jobs for the new project and finalizing a few remaining compliance changes. Once complete we plan to cut new releases of both the 3.x and 4.x branches which hopefully will happen within the next few weeks.

We’re excited for the future of the java-driver and to see where the community takes it. The project will now be exclusively maintained by volunteers with the goal of meeting the broad set of needs from the community. If you’d like to contribute please engage on tickets over on JIRA, or open a pull-request.

Many thanks!

Henry