[Release] OSS 2.17.0

Bret McGuire

Aug 8, 2023, 10:07:49 PM8/8/23
to cpp-dri...@lists.datastax.com

Greetings all!  Today I’m pleased to announce the release of version 2.17.0 of the DataStax C/C++ Driver for Apache Cassandra®.

This release represents what we’ve elsewhere described as a “clear the decks” release.  It’s been a long time (a very long time) since our last release, and as a result there are a number of fixes in master which had not yet made their way into an official release.  This release addresses that issue, but in the interest of not slowing down this effort we were not able to include a number of high-quality user-contributed PRs which have also been waiting for some time.  We are hoping to get back to a more normal release cadence for this driver in the very near future which in turn should allow us to evaluate these user-contributed PRs more rapidly.  We realize it’s been a long time, and we want to say thanks for being patient with us.

A few additional notes on this release.  First, we’ve modernized the platforms we use to build and test the driver internally.  This release aims to support the following platforms:

  • CentOS 7

  • Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal)

  • Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy)

  • Rocky Linux 8

  • Rocky Linux 9

  • Windows

We’ve deprecated support for CentOS 6 and 8 as well as Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty), 16.04 (Xenial) and 18.04 (Bionic) as each of these platforms are now EOL.  This change reflects a policy we plan to implement going forward; a given C/C++ driver release will officially support the distributions that are not EOL at the time of their release.

Version 2.17.0 of the driver also still supports version 5 of the Cassandra binary protocol as a beta protocol.  While this protocol has moved out of beta status as of Apache Cassandra 4.0 the driver currently contains only a partial implementation of version 5 features.  As a result we decided to keep version 5 in its current beta state.  In many cases this should have no effect on your applications as the driver will automatically downgrade to protocol version 4 during protocol negotiation.

Docs for this release are just a bit delayed; we hope to have them up in the next few days.  Until that time you can find the full changelog and documentation on Github.

Issue

Summary

Type

CPP-942

Add docs on possibility of MITM attacks with cass_cluster_set_use_hostname_resolution()

Bug

CPP-955

Unable to use different memory allocators and profilers when using the cassandra driver

Bug

CPP-957

Update build/test platforms

Improvement

CPP-919

CMake 3.16 deprecation warnings

Bug

PR #522

Iterate over all certificates in a trusted cert BIO, not just the first (kw217)

Bug

PR #528

Add support for newer versions of LibreSSL (gahr)

Improvement

PR #525

Allow users to request TLS client-side enforcement (FalacerSelene)

Improvement

v2.17.0

Docs coming soon!

Packages: