Meaning of maintenance mode and how it affects futher Cassandra releases

pfre...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2020, 4:05:29 PM9/4/20
to DataStax C++ Driver for Apache Cassandra User Mailing List
Hi,

Seems that the CPP driver has been put in maintenance mode, I would like to undestand how this might affect to new versions of Cassandra, for example the beta 4.X version.

Would this mean that the CPP driver woult not incorporate changes that are needed for usign new features provided by the 4.X version?

The reason why Im asking this is because Im working on a new Python driver vased on the CPP driver [1] and I would like to know that are the consequences on doing so.

Thanks!

Diego

Sep 7, 2020, 5:03:19 AM9/7/20
to DataStax C++ Driver for Apache Cassandra User Mailing List, pfre...@gmail.com
Hi,
I also would like to know, if the driver will be updated in the future, I'm still using that driver since one year ago, after the release of cassandra 4, do we expect to have a new version of the c++ driver?

Diego

Michael Penick

Sep 8, 2020, 8:49:08 AM9/8/20
to DataStax C++ Driver for Apache Cassandra User Mailing List
Other than protocol v5 (checksum) there aren't any features that cpp-driver doesn't support in Cassandra 4.x and using protocol v4 (instead of v5) doesn't significant limit what the driver can do with Cassandra 4.X.

The number of driver-facing features have been limited for many releases of Cassandra. We don't expect that to change.

Mike