[release] [call for feedback] DataStax Python Driver 2.3.0 for DSE and 3.12.0 for Apache Cassandra released

Jim Witschey

Jan 30, 2018, 2:52:43 PM1/30/18
to python-dr...@lists.datastax.com
Hi all,

Today, we released new versions of 3 libraries:

- version 3.13 of the Python driver for Apache Cassandra,
- version 2.4 of the Python driver for DSE, and
- version 1.2 of the Python driver extensions for DSE Graph.

By and large, these are normal maintenance releases -- we added some
deprecation warnings for features we plan to remove in our next major
release, we fixed some bugs, and we improved some documentation.

In addition to our maintenance work, we added an exciting,
experimental feature: we've introduced an asyncio-based reactor. Since
this reactor and the driver's integration with asyncio are so new, you
have an opportunity to shape its future. If you'd like to try it in
your development environment, we want to hear about your experience
and impressions. We already plan to more rigorously test and improve
its performance. What else are you hoping for from a new reactor?

We especially want to hear from those of you who already run
asyncio-based applications. What's important to you in an
asyncio-backed driver? We currently hide asyncio behind the
synchronous interface that our existing reactors export, but we're
excited to hear ideas about how to better integrate the driver into
asyncio-backed applications.

To give us feedback on the asyncio reactor, or more generally stay
involved, you can use these channels:

- Discuss the driver and ask questions:
- python-driver-user mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/a/lists.datastax.com/forum/#!forum/python-driver-user
- #datastax-drivers channel, DataStax Academy Slack:
https://academy.datastax.com/slack
- Review and contribute source code and documentation to the Apache
Cassandra Driver: https://github.com/datastax/python-driver
- Report issues on JIRA: https://datastax-oss.atlassian.net/browse/PYTHON

Many thanks to all who educated fellow community members, made feature
requests, contributed code, wrote documentation, and reported bugs.
Best,

DataStax Python Driver Team