Speculative retry

Tommy Stendahl

Apr 6, 2017, 7:35:38 AM4/6/17
to java-dri...@lists.datastax.com
Hi,

We have some concern regarding speculative retry in the driver.

If we have a slow request and trigger a speculative retry and the first
response we get back is a failure (maybe we didn't reach CL or something
else), this will trigger the driver to respond back to the client with
this failure. But maybe we get a success full response from the other
request, then the driver have responded with a failure even though the
request was successful. Is this good?

In some use cases it might make sense to have a retry policy that
ignores the first response if it is a failure and waits for the next one
if there is more then one outstanding copy of the request.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Tommy

Alexandre Dutra

Apr 6, 2017, 8:55:52 AM4/6/17
to java-dri...@lists.datastax.com
Hi Tommy,

I suppose you are familiar with speculative executions and retries. So if I follow you correctly, you are suggesting that the driver should keep waiting for more executions to complete when it believes that the error is non-permanent, is that right?

That would blur the boundaries between these notions, but I see your point. We could indeed re-use some of the logic currently living in retry policies to decide whether or not to stop the current round of speculative executions based on the error received.

I would suggest that you open a Jira ticket with your proposal so that we can investigate further.

Thanks,

Alexandre

Alexandre Dutra
Driver & Tools Engineer @ DataStax

Tommy Stendahl

Apr 6, 2017, 9:22:12 AM4/6/17
to java-dri...@lists.datastax.com

Hi Alexandre,

Yes, I think you understand me correctly, that’s exactly what I would like do.

I have created a jira, JAVA-1440.

Thanks, Tommy