Slow read/write from Spark Java to Cassandra

Satish Chandra

Aug 3, 2015, 7:40:13 AM8/3/15
to DataStax Java Driver for Apache Cassandra User Mailing List
Hi,

I tried running the sample JavaApiDemo present in https://github.com/datastax/spark-cassandra-connector and am facing very slow speeds of reads/writes from spark to cassandra.
It was taking 2-3 secs to write a record and 10-15 secs to read a table. I am new to using cassandra with spark and am not able to know why this is happening.

I have setup Spark 1.4.0 and Cassandra 2.1.8 . I have followed https://github.com/datastax/spark-cassandra-connector
and have used the following dependencies for cassandra spark-cassandra-connector_2.10 1.4.0-M2 and spark-cassandra-connector-java_2.10 1.4.0-M2
Also have used 4GB RAM where Spark 1.4.0 has been deployed. Cassandra 2.1.8 has been deployed on another machine. Should it be depolyed on the same node where Spark Worker is deployed.

Any inputs/directions will be of great help or if I am making any mistake.
Thanks, Satish.

Andrew Tolbert

Aug 6, 2015, 9:41:55 PM8/6/15
to DataStax Java Driver for Apache Cassandra User Mailing List
For anyone who comes across this thread later, there is another thread for this question on the Spark Connector mailing list.

Thanks,
Andy