[Ann] Renaming Git branch 3.0 to 3.x

Olivier Michallat

Sep 15, 2016, 4:34:21 PM9/15/16
to java-dri...@lists.datastax.com
Hi,

TL,DR; We're renaming a branch in our GitHub repo: 3.0 -> 3.x

This should only affect driver developers and contributors. If you're just depending on the driver via Maven central or the binary tarball, there will be no visible effects and you can safely ignore the rest of this message.

We've updated our contribution guidelines[1] to explain our branching scheme. The motivation for the new name is that for a given branch, the 'x' indicates which component gets incremented for each new release from that branch (e.g. for the 3.x branch: 3.0.0, 3.1.0..., for the 3.0.x branch: 3.0.1, 3.0.2..., etc).

If you have a local copy of the repo, you can switch to the new branch and use that for future pull requests:

    git fetch
    git checkout 3.x

If you had local branches based on 3.0 (or local commits on 3.0), you'll probably want to rebase them on 3.x. There are only minor doc updates between the two branches at this point, so you shouldn't get any conflict:

    git checkout my_local_branch
    git rebase 3.x

Once you don't need your local 3.0 branch anymore, you can delete it:

    git branch -D 3.0

If you had open pull requests against 3.0, we've already changed their base branch. You don't have to do anything right now, we'll work with you if needed (in most case we'll probably be able to handle the differences in the merge commit).

--

The Java driver team