Handle com.datastax.driver.core.exceptions.ReadFailureException while iterating on result set

siddharth verma

Sep 8, 2016, 2:01:40 PM9/8/16
to java-dri...@lists.datastax.com
Hi,
I have a read heavy workload, but my cluster isn't scaled to that size.
I make use of automatic paging in cassandra(no manual paging via boundStatement.setPagingState(PagingState.fromString(currentPageInfo)) )

Can I handle Caused by: com.datastax.driver.core.exceptions.ReadFailureException: Cassandra failure during read query at consistency LOCAL_ONE (1 responses were required but only 0 replica responded, 1 failed)
in my code to continue iteration on the resultSet

Any help or insights would be of great help.

Thanks
Siddharth Verma

Andrew Tolbert

Sep 8, 2016, 2:19:46 PM9/8/16
to DataStax Java Driver for Apache Cassandra User Mailing List
Hi Siddharth,

If I were to guess what this could be caused by is maybe you are exceeding tombstone_failure_threshold (defaults to 100000) as configured in cassandra.yaml.   In the C* logs an exception may be shown when this happens.   In the typical case I would expect any ReadFailureException would have an associated error in the cassandra server logs.  There might also be some more data C* puts in the failure response that the driver might not be parsing that would could include in this error message as well (I'll look into that).

If that is the case, you could increase tombstone_failure_threshold, or reduce your page size in hopes that decreases your likelihood of encountering this, but the best approach is to understand why you have so many tombstones.

Thanks,
Andy