Linearly growing number of writes in Cassandra

Vladi Feigin

Nov 9, 2016, 10:49:59 AM11/9/16
to java-dri...@lists.datastax.com
Hi All,

After moving to Java Datastax driver 3.0.1 we're experiencing linear and constant grow of writes
(metric of nodetool WriteCount). It's growing constantly.

Our configuration is:
Our Cassandra version is 2.0.14
Consistency Level : LOCAL_QUORUM
LoadBalancing : DCAwareRoundRobinPolicy wrapped by TokenAware
RetryPolicy : ExponentialReconnectionPolicy
Default connection pool configuration

What can be done to pinpoint the problem?
Did someone experience similar behaviour ?

Please advice and help

Thank you in advance!!!

Vladi Feigin
--

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this on behalf of the addressee you must not use, copy, disclose or take action based on this message or any information herein.

Kevin Gallardo

Nov 10, 2016, 6:07:07 AM11/10/16
to java-dri...@lists.datastax.com
Hi,

I'm a bit puzzled by what you mean by " grow of writes ". You updated the driver to 3.0.1 and did not change the Statements you execute, and you noticed more requests being sent?

I'm looking at the nodetool documentation, and it sounds like the Write Count represents the number or times data is written in C* (any INSERT or UPDATE query), if that's correct, it sounds normal that you experience this behaviour on the Write Count if you execute INSERT or UPDATE statement, or am I missing something? Maybe a bit more information on what your application code does would help.

BTW, to monitor closely what are the requests being sent to C*, you can take a look on our documentation on how to log requests sent, responses received, and others.

Thanks.

Kévin Gallardo.
Software Engineer in Drivers and Tools Team at DataStax.

Vladi Feigin

Nov 10, 2016, 1:23:00 PM11/10/16
to java-dri...@lists.datastax.com
Thank you for the fast response!
Eventually we've found a query, which is a root cause
The query is :
 select count(*) from our_table
 which is running periodically,  every few minutes
This query is causing the constant linear growth of writes
We suspect it is related to Cassandra read-repair but it's still unclear how this can cause such constant writes growth
Where should we look to understand the real reason ?
Thank you
Vladi

Vladi Feigin
R&D System Architect